How’s your appetite?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I started collecting in 2015, just before the Disney thing kicked off. Like most I hit it hard for the first couple of years. Once the FA trailer dropped prices started to rise so in many ways I started panic buying for fear of being left behind. As we know prices have continued to rise to this day and now 2015 prices seem like chicken feed. Once the pandemic hit, to my surprise the numbers just kept going up, despite many being on furlough or not earning there seemed to be an unquenchable thirst for all things vintage, so we all watched prices soar once more. I'm sure everyone will agree that dark times are ahead financially. For most people its the luxuries that go first when times are tough and vintage is most certainly a luxury. So my question is: Are you slowing down in terms of buying things? Tightening your belt? Selling up? Or buying like the world's about to end. I stopped buying about a year go but still keep an eye of the forum and FB, etc. It seems we are entering an interesting time.

lejackal

Grand Master
I've started buying again but more or less strictly ebay bargains only, ie loose complete under a tenner (yes, they're still out there)

Other than that I've been picking up some modern and mostly concentrating on other collections

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have not bought much the last 5 years, only a few lots each year and a few other items here and there. I think star wars has gone to expensive since maybe 2015. But if I can find a good deal or some danish stuff for my danish collection then I try to buy it. But it is not like before 2015 where I maybe bought star wars every week 😂 But I am happy with what I have bought in the cheap years before 2015. I do not know if the prices is beginning to change but I have seen a lot more star wars coming up for sale in denmark than normal so maybe prices will also begin to go down :confused:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I've bought very little vintage Star Wars over the last few years, the main things I've bought have been used ships or figures for my sons to play with. I can't even remember the last MOC I bought. It's mainly a combination of prices and already having most things I want. There are things I would love to own but missed the boat on price wise, I'm just not willing to pay what they go for now.

Over the last few years I've collected a lot of video games. I've enjoyed this becase as well as looking cool on the shelf I can also play them, and I started pretty much from scratch (for used games anyway, I had some sealed ones before) so there are hundreds to collect and prices start from practically nothing, it's a bit like starting out with loose figures in that respect.

Also apart from a few silly graded prices like the million dollar Mario 64, prices on the whole are way below vintage Star Wars, for example one of the most expensive consoles to collect for is the Neo Geo, yet even those games are cheaper than an ESB MOC these days, and arguably a hell of a lot rarer (probably a better long term investment.)

The current financial outlook is obviously a concern, but my view is 'spreading your bets' is the safest way to survive financially, having a combination of cash and assets is never a bad thing.

In short if you've run out of steam with Star Wars, collect something else :)

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
i have a few focuses which have great bottom line collectibles. Episode 1 amidala has so much tat (trying to negotiate buying a bowling ball atm), collecting star wars games for the consoles I own, Rey figurines, slave leia stuff is pretty much slowed down to her on the covers of things (no new stuff since about 2016 due to us men ogling),.. vintage toy wise its just the odd ESB item. No MOCs for a few years as cheap ones are over £100 or it appears near enough.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom