THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 34 Launched

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Just got to the reseal/repro discussion on the podcast. Stating the reseals are reproductions due to added glue and/or pen is an ill thought out and confusing point of view. By that argument, any card with added sellotape, staples, pen marks (which were often applied in the factory) would be reproduction. Utter nonsense. Disappointed to be hearing this on the podcast.

Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
It's Pete's POV. I wonder if anyone agrees with it?

That young man needs educating.

:p

Also, all MOCs are destined to become reseals over time as the glue fails and the bubbles drop off. We'd have nothing left to collect if we follow that POV.

:)

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think Pete was calling reseals reroduction, just saying that it's similar in the sense that it's not original.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
thanks edd.. sounds like you were listening :)

Not that it needs clarifying, but in my opinion if something has been added ie glue to a cardback in this modern of times I wouldn't want to own it. That's where I'm not a fan whatsoever. I know all the arguments for why people like them, but if I knew that a cardback had been resealed that adding of adhesive for me is a major major turnoff. Also theres no guarantee that the figure inside is that exact one etc etc. Just no.

To say I need educating is so highly patronising... i dont want to own a reseal. I dont like the concept of them.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
Richard_H said:
It's Pete's POV. I wonder if anyone agrees with it?

That young man needs educating.

:p

Also, all MOCs are destined to become reseals over time as the glue fails and the bubbles drop off. We'd have nothing left to collect if we follow that POV.

Jason

OMFG, we'd have to collect something from the billions of other vintage star wars items out there...

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
naughtyjedi said:
thanks edd.. sounds like you were listening :)

Not that it needs clarifying, but in my opinion if something has been added ie glue to a cardback in this modern of times I wouldn't want to own it. That's where I'm not a fan whatsoever. I know all the arguments for why people like them, but if I knew that a cardback had been resealed that adding of adhesive for me is a major major turnoff. Also theres no guarantee that the figure inside is that exact one etc etc. Just no.

To say I need educating is so highly patronising... i dont want to own a reseal. I dont like the concept of them.

I think its just the terminology that's confusing. Calling it a repro is confusing at best. I understand your sentiments for not wanting to own one. I've seen reseals where the glue used has gone bad over time leaving a horrible brown discoloration over time. Personally, I leave them unsealed if the bubble is attached one side, or use prit stick and glue paper to paper where any discoloration would not be visible.

Jason

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
I didnt call reseals reproductions. Thats why i jumped on Stu (thank goodness not physically). I said its a similar argument people make about "I cant own the actual sealed version so I'll settle for this one"..

Why can people like Spoons and Edd hear that, and you hear something completely that wasn't said?

Why arent you happy with the card, bubble and figure together. Heck, I'm sure someone could design an acrylic case to hold them into place without the need for a foreign substance? I'd much rather own that than a reseal.

I actually find the fact that you think I put reseals in a category of repros a bit silly really.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
naughtyjedi said:
I didnt call reseals reproductions. Thats why i jumped on Stu (thank goodness not physically). I said its a similar argument people make about "I cant own the actual sealed version so I'll settle for this one"..

Why can people like Spoons and Edd hear that, and you hear something completely that wasn't said?

Why arent you happy with the card, bubble and figure together. Heck, I'm sure someone could design an acrylic case to hold them into place without the need for a foreign substance? I'd much rather own that than a reseal.

I actually find the fact that you think I put reseals in a category of repros a bit silly really.

As long as the whole thing stays together for display without visible support, then I'm happy. I have a palitoy vcj jawa, transistion bubble jawa, 30b ben and 30b leia that are reseals. It would be difficult and expensive to find sealed examples of any of those. I think the transition bubble jawa is the only one you'd be happy with as all the others have card on card prit stick on them (which removes quite easily). I've removed the bubble on one of them for a cardback photo before putting it back on.

Jason

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
just be careful there.. ive got 30year old prittstick keeping stuff in an old scrapbook.. that aint ever coming out.. welded in!!

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
naughtyjedi said:
just be careful there.. ive got 30year old prittstick keeping stuff in an old scrapbook.. that aint ever coming out.. welded in!!

That's a whole flat piece of paper. The ones I have a have a few spots on one or both sides of the bubble.

I also have reseals where I've pulled the bubbles off. My trilogo jawa and general madine are like that. Look great as cardbacks.

Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Up to the 70c trilogo Leia now.

I put this on my matrix initially as Edd sent me a message saying he had confirmation it existed with a picture posted on the recent acquisitions thread. No mention of possibly in that message.

Obviously I didn't look at the picture too closely as Joe spotted that it was a 70c bubble transplant onto a 70b card with various tells to say this had happened.

I agreed with Joe and removed it. No mystery or non resolution from my POV.

Jason

Palifan

Sith Lord
naughtyjedi said:

I just went back to re-listen to the reseals section and can hear that you don't think of reseals as reproductions but I think by mentioning reseals being in the same realm/in the same line as collecting reproduction is where the confusion came from for some of us. Personally I still disagree with putting these two things even into the same sentence as one is just making up history whilst the other is saving it in my eyes, but as mentioned it's still great that there's a diverse group of people on the podcast as well as the forum.

I still take my hat off to you Pete for sticking to your guns with mocs and can see we just have a difference of opinion on this point and not an argument as it really is each to their own with how and what they like to collect. For me I reattach my bubbles back to the card if you won't be able to see the glue and for me it's the only way for it to display like it originally was (although in an acrylic case to save on dusting!). It keeps the footer in place and weapon and hopefully will last a good while.

Anyway enough on all of that and looking forward to the next episode, it really is a highlight to my month!

Ian

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Great episode guys. Thanks for all the hard work that must go into these.

I had actually thought the TIEs in the first film were white! This is because the toys and comics were my childhood cannon; they were more familiar to me than the films before the video jet age.

Therefore in my stubborn head TIEs are white, Fett is blue grey, Cloud City is the chunkier McQuarrie version as featured on everything including wallpaper......

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Just heard about the proto R2 lunchbox estate sale find. $6 for a $2-3000 item :eek: it's the kind of find we all dream of... BUT I have to admit I would feel a little guilty bagging something like that from an estate sale. That's somebody's inheritance you're taking a nice big chunk out of. I think if it was me I would have bought it to secure the item, and then later contacted the seller and offered a little more.

I think about that sort of thing every time I go searching in a charity shop. If I found something really rare for 50p, would I feel guilty taking it off them? So far my conscience is clear as I've never found anything remotely of interest.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
And finished. Would love to come on and talk Palitoy stickers. In terms of boxed there's only Star Wars TIE Fighter, ESB 12 inch Boba Fett, ROTJ Ewok Assault Catapult & ROTJ Ewok Combat Glider. Unless anyone knows of more?

:?:

cheers Jason

walkie

Sith Lord
Only part way though listening to the podcast but I can help shed some light on the TFP "ghost" coo you referred to, otherwise known as a COO Family I figure, image below....

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most obvious, in this case the COO text was stamped in the wrong half of the tool. This error would then have been spotted and repaired by filling in the holes. The remaining text or 'ghost' coo as some people call it is the imperfections in the repair.

teqK2ot.png

spoons

Grand Master
A neat explanation Walkie!

Anyone else having their iPhone filled up with back issues of the podcast? Most annoying having to keep deleting them to free up space

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Jason, someone on here (I think it was on here, if not then definitely on Echo Vintage on FB) was recently showing a Kenner B-wing with a Palitoy sticker. I can't think of any other examples off-hand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom