This is scary reading from RS

Section 8

Sith Lord
Mexico may be viewed as tumbleweeds and gun toting cartel, but to think that a Mexican bank can just make $10,000 disappear is beyond unlikely. They'd all have their peso's tucked in their mattresses if that were true.

If your doing a $10,000 deal, you don't get "too busy" to deal with it. As for the missing $5000, you don't just end a deal at that. You say, send the other cash and then I'll send the figure, especially with someone you have dealt with before and on good terms.

Adolpho's answers have been odd with long periods of silence. This doesn't bode well in my opinion for the location of Scott's 10G's.

benny100

Sith Lord
mumbo said:
my head hurts and my eyes are sore :(

playground stuff for the most part. one post from the seller,who even if he's not at fault has done himself no favours with ToyToni esque silence, and no real outcome.
I just can't believe you'd send 10k on a bank transfer

bobskins

Padawan
mumbo said:
my head hurts and my eyes are sore :(

I agree. Painful reading due to people going off on massive tangents and getting into petty 'I MUST be right' arguments. :roll:

Tommy_Garvey

Padawan
Just an update: I have banned Adolfo from RebelScum. I gave him 5 days to either refund Scott's money or provide a valid explanation why he couldn't, but Adolfo refused to do that. It is my opinion that he has no intention of ever refunding that money.

Tommy

yoda

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
it's beyond mad to send someone you don't really know $10,000 by bank transfer

This, enough said. :roll:

I didn't read the whole thread because I agree with this :roll:

Tommy_Garvey

Padawan
In all fairness, they had been friends for years and had done many deals together. After you feel like you know someone, your radar for potential scams is significantly lessened. But as someone on Facebook said, I suppose that's how confidence scams work. :(

Tommy

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Tommy_Garvey said:
I suppose that's how confidence scams work.

Yeap. Sad to see someone get scammed, especially for so much money. I didn't read the entire thread, are the Police etc, now involved? Given the sum of money at stake....

Tommy_Garvey

Padawan
I don't know what Scott's next move is. Personally, I'd at least consult the authorities, but I don't know if that's the option he'll take.

Tommy

itfciain

Grand Master
I don't think he has a next move - the whole transfer was done on trust after years of dealing - I imagine there is no contract in place and taking him to court in a different country would be very difficult and probably costly

Seems a shame that it has come down to this when a bit more effort made at the start would probably have bought about a quicker resolution

yoda

Sith Lord
Tommy_Garvey said:
In all fairness, they had been friends for years and had done many deals together. After you feel like you know someone, your radar for potential scams is significantly lessened. But as someone on Facebook said, I suppose that's how confidence scams work. :(

Tommy

Yes I see what you mean I have read some more of the thread. I didn't realise they had done many transactions before. But still it was a big risk to take with so much money involved in my eyes. They seem to have moved alot of big amounts between themselves before.
The truth will probably never be found out why that happened. I do feel sorry for that guy Scott it was some slap on the mouth to take.
Some people said they would have got on a plane and flew to Mexico I don't think that would help your case.
Even if you did find the guy Adolfo if that's even his real name. Did anyone ever meet this guy face to face? What could be done? If he has stolen
$10 000 I would imagine if you met him in Mexico he would probably laugh in your face and tell you to **** off home. It really is a mess and unfortunately a very harsh lesson for Scott.
Colin Martins book "welcome to hell " is a good read he got caught by a scammers. It really opens your eyes how quickly your life can change from a big problem to a living nightmare.

yoda

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
I'd seriously hunt him down and cut his fingers off.

I remember Denzel Washington doing that to a guy against a steering wheel :lol: :lol: It definitely gets the desired effect!
I didn't actually want to post myself what I was thinking I would love to do to someone if they screwed me in that amount of money :lol: :lol:

scott82

Jedi Knight
just had a read through this now (its one long read so i didn't read it all).......... But what an ass hat this guy was!
A shame too that something happens like this in a hobby where most people are decent people.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If a friend ever asks you to lend them a large amount of money, only do it if you feel comfortable never getting that money back. Same with wiring money abroad, whether you have delt with them or not, if their is not a 3rd party insuring 1rst and 2nd party's are playing ball then you have to understand their is an element of risk and personally with my own hard earned cash I would never let a large amount go like this.

In fact if nothing else this thread should serve as a reminder to everyone how easy you can loose money, no matter how well you think you no someone.

PayPal and eBay don't get money for old rope, as many would have you believe. :wink:

Russ J

Jedi Master
Would be nice to have 10 large to play with in the first place ...sad state of affairs though,makes you think you no some one after all those years of dealings only to have your pants down

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
theforceuk said:
If a friend ever asks you to lend them a large amount of money, only do it if you feel comfortable never getting that money back. Same with wiring money abroad, whether you have delt with them or not, if their is not a 3rd party insuring 1rst and 2nd party's are playing ball then you have to understand their is an element of risk and personally with my own hard earned cash I would never let a large amount go like this.

In fact if nothing else this thread should serve as a reminder to everyone how easy you can loose money, no matter how well you think you no someone.

PayPal and eBay don't get money for old rope, as many would have you believe. :wink:

Maybe...

There are definitely people I trust, even with that amount. I have never commented on the RS thread mostly because I can associate with the buyer. You build relationships with some guys and with that comes trust. I appreciate Tommy's comments that this is how confidence tricksters work, but I don't think that's a good reason not to trust those guys you have dealt with for years. There are certainly a few guys here that I would trust with way more than 10K (if I had it....).

The simple fact is that this is an awful story. Two guys who have been dealing with each other for a long time have come adrift. Doesn't mean that that's how we all should act. It does reinforce the fact that you should use Paypal (as much as I hate the fees). Don't see this as an example not to trust anyone. There was no seeing this - both the seller and the buyer knew each other; the seller was well respected, and there is probably stuff we don't know on both sides. Its completely understandable that the buyer would not fly to Mexico over a $10K deal when they had dealt with the seller so much before. Its a screwed up situation, but its not the norm in our community.

Cheers
Pat

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom