This is scary reading from RS

Russ J

Jedi Master
x-pack said:
That's too much money to spend on Star Wars toys. Officially crazy.

Hit the nail on the head right there (imo anyway)....some people have more money than sense....if I had 10 grand to play about with (which I don't) there's a lot more other stuff it would be getting spent on rather than toys ,unless it was just purely a business deal and the toys were getting sold on for profit....can't justify spending that amount just to put it in a display cabinet and oogle at it for a few months until the novelty wore off....

This is purely my opinion only and I mean no disrespect to any collector who would do this.....

yoda

Sith Lord
Russ J said:
x-pack said:
That's too much money to spend on Star Wars toys. Officially crazy.

Hit the nail on the head right there (imo anyway)....some people have more money than sense....if I had 10 grand to play about with (which I don't) there's a lot more other stuff it would be getting spent on rather than toys ,unless it was just purely a business deal and the toys were getting sold on for profit....can't justify spending that amount just to put it in a display cabinet and oogle at it for a few months until the novelty wore off....

This is purely my opinion only and I mean no disrespect to any collector who would do this.....

From reading the thread I think both guys were dealers if I read it correctly. I am shocked myself at the amounts that are moving around buying these figures.

Palifan

Sith Lord
The money here seems slightly irrelevant as $10K to one person could be equal to $200 to the next. I do think prices have become way out of hand but it's down to the buyer to decide if it's something they can afford. It's not the kind of money that I have to drop on something but then spending $100 on a figure would probably seem like complete madness to someone who collects nothing.

Reading between the lines it seems that there really was no reason to doubt anything going wrong with this deal after all the history between both buyer and seller so it's really sad that it's turned out this way. The seller has screwed their reputation and should realise the $10k is still a lot of money to just brush off not chasing up on, no matter what kind of deals they're used to making. We all know to protect ourselves when sending money to people (for the most part anyway), but there are people who I've felt with before that I would have no reason to doubt anything going wrong, this just shows how things can go wrong no matter who you deal with or what relationship you have with them.

I guess we have to cover ourselves the best we can but if you are sending such a huge amount (or a small amount that's all the money you have), you have to put something in place to cover yourself for anything happening.

It's a sad story but the circumstances don't sound like someone just handed over $10K to someone they didn't know, that really would be insane.

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
Just read the last page of the RS thread (page 56), and it seems like the seller had asked the buyer to pay in low instalments so as not to make the Mexican government suspicious, but the buyer was going to get hit with too many fees sending money like this so opted to send the most they could in one hit ($10K). The seller did end up getting investigated and now it looks like he's having to pay undeclared taxes and fines on previous deals and is blaming the buyer for this so keeping their money to pay this all off?!

No matter which way you look at this mess it's the sellers fault for never declaring any money on seemingly anything, and I can see how they may not have the cash to pay the fines without the $10k so they should just send the figure to the buyer and realise that they got caught not ever paying tax. I'm guessing this seller has made a small fortune over the years (and may even do this for a living), so should have to pay something like the rest of us would have to. It might be annoying to them for this to happen but I'm sure if this was a one off they would only have to worry about the tax on this deal.

I'm not sure what will happen in the end with all of this but it doesn't seem quite as straight forward as I first thought and shows you that if you keep making large sums of money selling items then you stand a good chance of getting caught out at some point.

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom