Vectis Auction - 40th Anniversary Sale

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
It looks a nice one. Minimal bubble damage unlike the last two I have seen. Hard to say what price it will fetch, really depends on who is bidding on the day but I can c 10+K

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
palitoyjunky said:
Well that's a 30A Bossk :!: So pretty nice even with the staining 8)

What do you think it would Grade at?

No one can answer that due to the inconsistencies of grading.

I know you are after this 85 or better palitoy run. Good luck finding the palitoy vcj. You need to accept when you are buying something that's one of approx 5, and I know of at least one that will never ever be sold, you can't be particular on condition.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Mr-shifter said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
palitoyjunky said:
Well that's a 30A Bossk :!: So pretty nice even with the staining 8)

What do you think it would Grade at?

No one can answer that due to the inconsistencies of grading.

I know you are after this 85 or better palitoy run. Good luck finding the palitoy vcj. You need to accept when you are buying something that's one of approx 5, and I know of at least one that will never ever be sold, you can't be particular on condition.

My expectations of 85 or better have had to drop since moving into Empire Cards so I no longer use this as a target given the rarity of some of the items. I recently bought a collection of 41 and 45A MOC's and although all were graded most were under 85 grade. I would consider myself very lucky to get a Palitoy VCJ with an 85 grade I was just interested in collectors opinion on what they thought this one might grade at.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Don't forget that Kathy at Vectis will be happy to provide more detailed pictures of a lot from any angle you require. Obviously lots of people will want additional pictures of lots of items so if you haven't already done so, I'd get a request in reasonably soon. If you're considering dropping serious coin on something you don't want any nasty surprises!

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
maxf said:
palitoyjunky said:

I think it will grade an 80 if no nasty surprises.

Doesn't it have tape on it?

And it states on the info that is has discolouration on the cape. So figure alone cannot get higher than a 75 I'm led to believe? So best it could do would be an overall 80 maybe? if it has tape on probably 75?

But as we know with grading companies, the grade often depends on who sends it in.

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
Nick_IoW said:
maxf said:
palitoyjunky said:
I think it will grade an 80 if no nasty surprises.

Doesn't it have tape on it?

And it states on the info that is has discolouration on the cape. So figure alone cannot get higher than a 75 I'm led to believe? So best it could do would be an overall 80 maybe? if it has tape on probably 75?

But as we know with grading companies, the grade often depends on who sends it in.

I was talking about the bossk ,there isn't any tape on the Jawa

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK, here's a stupid newbie question. I joined Vectis and placed a modest bid on a modest item in this auction, and have just received an outbid notice. However, when I sign into the site to see what the new high bid is, it doesn't tell me; it still lists the estimate price instead. I'm guessing this is deliberate policy on Vectis' part, but in case I am simply being dense, is there any way of seeing what the current high bid actually is, as I could on eBay? I might be willing to up my bid, but won't bother if it's already higher than I'm prepared to pay come auction day.

Thanks.

wrighty

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
OK, here's a stupid newbie question. I joined Vectis and placed a modest bid on a modest item in this auction, and have just received an outbid notice. However, when I sign into the site to see what the new high bid is, it doesn't tell me; it still lists the estimate price instead. I'm guessing this is deliberate policy on Vectis' part, but in case I am simply being dense, is there any way of seeing what the current high bid actually is, as I could on eBay? I might be willing to up my bid, but won't bother if it's already higher than I'm prepared to pay come auction day.

Thanks.

Haha!! I found that out previously. Up till the day of the auction its a closed bid system so all you know is if you are outbid. You can increase your bid gradually till it says you are the highest bidder if you want to find out. I also asked the question how do you know you are not bidding against yourself on the day if you already placed an internet bid.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
wrighty said:
Snaketibe said:

Thanks.

Haha!! I found that out previously. Up till the day of the auction its a closed bid system so all you know is if you are outbid. You can increase your bid gradually till it says you are the highest bidder if you want to find out. I also asked the question how do you know you are not bidding against yourself on the day if you already placed an internet bid.

the auctioneer gets a copy of the commission bids so will work out where the high bid is. So if you have bid a grand and ten other people have bid varying amounts up to £700 then the auctioneer will "bid" the item up on the commission bids behalf to wherever they are, so £720. They will then invite bids from the room.

If you are online, in the room or on the phone you will then be treated as a room bidder, and be able to bid against the commission bid. They will not know who the bidders are at this point, so you could easily bid yourself up.

In live auctions, commission bids should only be used as a last resort. If there is something you really want, you need to bid live on the phone.

Invaluable is a better way to bid online as their software is vastly superior to vectis, but you have to pay for it.

Got to remember, vectis is an old school auction house.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:
wrighty said:
Snaketibe said:

Thanks.

the auctioneer gets a copy of the commission bids so will work out where the high bid is. So if you have bid a grand and ten other people have bid varying amounts up to £700 then the auctioneer will "bid" the item up on the commission bids behalf to wherever they are, so £720. They will then invite bids from the room.

If you are online, in the room or on the phone you will then be treated as a room bidder, and be able to bid against the commission bid. They will not know who the bidders are at this point, so you could easily bid yourself up.

In live auctions, commission bids should only be used as a last resort. If there is something you really want, you need to bid live on the phone.

Invaluable is a better way to bid online as their software is vastly superior to vectis, but you have to pay for it.

Got to remember, vectis is an old school auction house.

Thanks for the info both of you. Much appreciated!

I wouldn't bother using Vectis at all in normal circumstances as they seem to have eye-watering commission rates, and a rather user-unfriendly website and policies, in my opinion. Also, the mega-rare items they do have which grab the headlines are sadly out of my financial reach. However, if they are the only site to have the one thing you're looking for, it requires a certain amount of willpower not to join and try to get it!

AllThings80s

Youngling
The thing that concerns me with these types of auctions is if you placed a pre-bid of £500 for something est at £250 and they start the auction at £500! Now there's no way of knowing if there were other bids driving it upto £500, or if the auction house just decided because you were the only bidder prepared to go to £500 that'll start it off at £500.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom