Warning new repro that is not in the tig guide

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
I believe I t's that t**t Chris Smith on Facebook. He runs a Reproduction Accessories group on FB and is the original supplier of all the so called 'Saltburn' Repro.

He also got sent down for selling fake football kits earlier in the year.
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15805497.fake-football-kits-trader-from-saltburn-jailed-after-restarting-venture/

sounds like a very bad guy :evil:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
aussiejames said:
Yes I have not got the latest Saltburn repros on the TIG site yet- need to get pictures improved but it is mentioned here: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t9363-new-black-endor-blaster-repro

endor310.jpg

thanks mate for the link :wink:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
tobedesu said:
Clawrence said:
:( This is very upsetting, thanks for sharing. The simple float or drop test does not cut it anymore, you have to have a bloody expert to spot them.....I wish there was a service to send away all the accessories in one batch to authenticate what you have are ok. On the same topic, has there been any incidents where Repro has been graded as original...how do the graders confirm they are genuine?

There is a lad on facebook, dont know if he posts here, but he is a Topps artist and prominent at Echo Live and on the Facebook groups. He was identifying repros, but dont know if he still is.

Some of you know who i am on about, but wont print his name.
All around nice bloke.
Sounds like Dan T but you won't find anyone more knowledgeable than Aussiejames

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Clawrence said:
:( This is very upsetting, thanks for sharing. The simple float or drop test does not cut it anymore, you have to have a bloody expert to spot them.....I wish there was a service to send away all the accessories in one batch to authenticate what you have are ok. On the same topic, has there been any incidents where Repro has been graded as original...how do the graders confirm they are genuine?
There have been plenty of examples of grading companies grading reproduction items, or the wrong accessories. Don't forget that grading companies are just normal human beings and can make mistakes just like the rest of us. Many people see grading as a guarantee that they have the genuine article, but IMO their is no substitution for confirming originality yourself. However, I appreciate that not everyone has the time to, or can be bothered to, learn all the identifiable markings and traits to confirm originality.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Clawrence said:
There have been plenty of examples of grading companies grading reproduction items, or the wrong accessories. Don't forget that grading companies are just normal human beings and can make mistakes just like the rest of us. Many people see grading as a guarantee that they have the genuine article, but IMO their is no substitution for confirming originality yourself. However, I appreciate that not everyone has the time to, or can be bothered to, learn all the identifiable markings and traits to confirm originality.

if I remember correct even toy toni got graded as original :?

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
aussiejames said:
tobedesu said:
There is a lad on facebook, dont know if he posts here, but he is a Topps artist and prominent at Echo Live and on the Facebook groups. He was identifying repros, but dont know if he still is.

All around nice bloke.
Dan T?

Yes, mate.

I dont know who the top blokes are for this type of thing, but when I met Dan at Echo a while ago he was compiling a record of repro crap.
His name gets brought up a lot.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
TheJabbaWookie said:
tobedesu said:
Clawrence said:

All around nice bloke.
Sounds like Dan T but you won't find anyone more knowledgeable than Aussiejames

Fair enough mate.
The community needs people like these.

jayums

Jedi Master
I only use the float test to filter out the obvious ones. I find the drop test more useful. That said, the drop test wasn't so useful when I started collecting because i had no point of comparison.

IMO the sound difference is clear as day, and usually repro blasters especially just feel wrong in hand. The weight often feels wrong to me too so I wondered if this was something that had been looked into? Although perhaps it's more to do with texture and brittleness than weight :?:

I guess the problem is that it's often impossible to tell from most eBay pics. Unless the seller is A1 reliable for job lots I tend to just assume everything is fake and only offer what I'd offer for loose with the worthless repro. Then anything that happens to be authentic should I win is a bonus... possibly sad, but true!

Without wishing to throw a grenade into the discussion, I do feel like it's a shame there isn't a 'reputable' form of repro (e.g. particular marking / colour) so people with loose collections but not silly money could 'restore' their own toys without fueling the repro trade. Personally I'd rather leave them loose but I do appreciate why some might want to do that, and I do think it would be fundamentally different to those who use nigh on impossible to spot repro to dupe the unwitting on eBay.

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
TheJabbaWookie said:
Clawrence said:

It's tough to confirm when your purchasing at fairs etc. There was a guy at Stafford Toy Fair I spoke to a few years back, seemed to be pretty knowledgeable on repro, i asked him check a leia blaster i had purchased he popped it into a clear poly bag with the figure and did a shake test against his ear. Based on sound he confirmed it was genuine...At home it passed the float test, but looking at imperialgunnery I think it looks more like "REPRO V5" still not 100% so....It goes in the small poly bag of repro i have unfornatally accumulated over the years.

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
Clawrence said:

:eek: If you provide a service like this, surely they should have a insanely low error margin

Clawrence

Jedi Knight
Clawrence said:
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

:eek: If you provide a service like this, surely they should have a insanely low error margin

I've spent hours trying to confirm if weapons are genuine.....How long does the guy doing the grading work get to confirm...time is money to these company's??

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Clawrence said:
Clawrence said:
Pomse2001 said:

I've spent hours trying to confirm if weapons are genuine.....How long does the guy doing the grading work get to confirm...time is money to these company's??

I do not know, I do not collect graded items. Maybe some on the forum know that :? 5 min, 10 min ½ hour :?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom