WOW What an auction! Includes Carded Vlix and Blue Stars MOC

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
PGowdy said:
Joseph_Y said:
I'm definitely of the school of thought that the fewer people know about something off the beaten track like this auction was, the better deals there will be for those that do know. I was clued into it by a friend that knew I would want the Polish. I clued other friends that didn't know based on items that I knew they wanted. Stuff like that gets the word out to the right people(focus collectors for specific items), w.o creating any undue competition for the items you want. I'm all for community, but there's a big negative side to auction outing too when you think of it from the buyers perspective.

Cheers
Joe

But then those who the auction was hidden from will possibly end up having to buy an item they may have wanted from the auction from someone who did know about it for an inflated resale price. Surely that could be perceived as a "negative" for those who weren't told about the item. No?
What you're saying is is it's better for you if an auction you are interested in remains secret so you can get a better deal. Which i agree with. Yes it is better. For you.

Now your catching on. I admit everyone does lookout for themselves...but then there are those who are quite self absorbed. That's why this is the only forum I hang out on. We have fun, Share **** and mess with each other. It's not a competition or place to drop top collectors (Or who we think are top collectors ) names, like it impresses anybody....anyways I will stop...this was Josh's disagreement and I know he can hold his own

Joseph_Y

Padawan
PGowdy said:
Joseph_Y said:
I'm definitely of the school of thought that the fewer people know about something off the beaten track like this auction was, the better deals there will be for those that do know. I was clued into it by a friend that knew I would want the Polish. I clued other friends that didn't know based on items that I knew they wanted. Stuff like that gets the word out to the right people(focus collectors for specific items), w.o creating any undue competition for the items you want. I'm all for community, but there's a big negative side to auction outing too when you think of it from the buyers perspective.

Cheers
Joe

But then those who the auction was hidden from will possibly end up having to buy an item they may have wanted from the auction from someone who did know about it for an inflated resale price. Surely that could be perceived as a "negative" for those who weren't told about the item. No?
What you're saying is is it's better for you if an auction you are interested in remains secret so you can get a better deal. Which i agree with. Yes it is better. For you.

As Tiefighterboy mentioned anyone with half a brain can find these off the beaten path auctions. Why should they be made easier for those that don't do the research? Not just better for me specifically, but better for those that do the work, even if that person isn't me.

Cheers
Joe

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Joe ...for once...a statement I do agree with....but I just do not feel on this forum...we should control peoples freedom to post any links they wish too. It is not in my opinion, our place to control peoples freedom to do so. **** I sounded almost diplomatic there. :D

itfciain

Grand Master
Joseph_Y said:
As Tiefighterboy mentioned anyone with half a brain can find these off the beaten path auctions. Why should they be made easier for those that don't do the research? Not just better for me specifically, but better for those that do the work, even if that person isn't me.

Cheers
Joe

I think the point is being missed here. On this forum we are happy for these types of auction to be 'outed' because we find them interesting.

People like Liam enjoy the search and enjoy sharing - and I think the bulk of posters of this forum are happy for him to share this information

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
N ow what the **** was this thread about....oh yeah we were talking about tits.
c8b4fd9e.jpg

e30318is

Sith Lord
I think auctions of this nature are fair game. It's not an eBay auction, it's an advertised toy auction. If you think about it Joe Liam was basically did the same as what your friend did.....
It is annoying when you think you have found a sleeper and some one links it but come on- it's all part of the game. By your own admission you got the items much cheaper than you were willing to pay so I don't see what the issue is?

Please dont forget Joe, this isn't RS. Luckily the vast majority of members on here are friendly, like minded individuals who look out for each other.

Joseph_Y

Padawan
NICE distraction....lol

But seriously... Josh, you talk of my sense of entitlement.... I've researched, hunted and collected these since before anyone else was taking bootlegs seriously. I've created most of my competition for these items. Yet I get accused of acting entitled when items that I was willing to go more than the distance come up, and all I'd want is an actual fair shot at them...meaning that only people bright enough to have found them on their own or via the auction houses advertising (and friends quietly clueing one another in) bidding. Yet I don't even get that because of someone with zero interest other than curiosity creates more competition for me. Sure I got lucky and no one was stupid enough to head to head with me on these (I actually had 15k cash in hand with me at the auction, I wasn't leaving there without them), but it could have gone horribly awry and cost me insane amounts of money just because someone outed them. I would have likely only brought 5k with me had they not been outed. But auction outing and its NEGATIVE effects are no strangers to me. I had to pay over 10k for an item worth 5k at most because an auction was outed on RS, and a bidder with zero previous interest in bootlegs bid it up, just because it was rare.

You can tout it as "freedom" to do so, but don't think that you're helping the community in any way, other than supplying them the entertainment value that outsiders see in threads like this one.

Cheers
Joe

Joseph_Y

Padawan
e30318is said:
I think auctions of this nature are fair game. It's not an eBay auction, it's an advertised toy auction. If you think about it Joe Liam was basically did the same as what your friend did.....
It is annoying when you think you have found a sleeper and some one links it but come on- it's all part of the game. By your own admission you got the items much cheaper than you were willing to pay so I don't see what the issue is?

Please dont forget Joe, this isn't RS. Luckily the vast majority of members on here are friendly, like minded individuals who look out for each other.

You're right I got them for a very fair price. I got lucky, as the other bidder that I found out who he was after the fact, was on a MUCH tighter budget than I because he'd only been clued in about these auctions a few days prior(from someone that saw them here). The fact that I had a month and a half lead time to sell stuff is why I was as prepared as I was and why he pmed me after asking what my top end was. The buyer on the Bluestars wasn't as fortunate, that's THE most I've ever seen a BS sell for.

I'm not angry at Liam or anyone else here. I just think that there are 2 sides to auction outing, and that people should think about that before they out things. As for your obvious dislike of RS, While there are some folks on RS that will **** you every chance they get, there are plenty on every forum. I've made some of the best friends I have in the hobby via RS. The 2 most selfish and greedy ****ers I've ever met in the hobby one's a UK guy and the other is in Denmark,so even the worst US guys've got nothing on them.

Cheers
Joe

itfciain

Grand Master
Joseph_Y said:
NICE distraction....lol

But seriously... Josh, you talk of my sense of entitlement.... I've researched, hunted and collected these since before anyone else was taking bootlegs seriously. I've created most of my competition for these items. Yet I get accused of acting entitled when items that I was willing to go more than the distance come up, and all I'd want is an actual fair shot at them...meaning that only people bright enough to have found them on their own or via the auction houses advertising (and friends quietly clueing one another in) bidding. Yet I don't even get that because of someone with zero interest other than curiosity creates more competition for me. Sure I got lucky and no one was stupid enough to head to head with me on these (I actually had 15k cash in hand with me at the auction, I wasn't leaving there without them), but it could have gone horribly awry and cost me insane amounts of money just because someone outed them. I would have likely only brought 5k with me had they not been outed. But auction outing and its NEGATIVE effects are no strangers to me. I had to pay over 10k for an item worth 5k at most because an auction was outed on RS, and a bidder with zero previous interest in bootlegs bid it up, just because it was rare.

You can tout it as "freedom" to do so, but don't think that you're helping the community in any way, other than supplying them the entertainment value that outsiders see in threads like this one.

Cheers
Joe

This just comes across as someone saying 'I am the big I am in the collection world' and all you little people should respect my wishes.

I am sorry but I think Liam was right to out this auction so us mere mortals can see some nice, high grade Star Wars items that we are unlikely to ever have the chance of owning and also give us the chance to watch them sell.

This is a hobby for all - not just the 'entitled'

Joseph_Y

Padawan
itfciain said:
Joseph_Y said:
NICE distraction....lol

Cheers
Joe

This just comes across as someone saying 'I am the big I am in the collection world' and all you little people should respect my wishes.

I am sorry but I think Liam was right to out this auction so us mere mortals can see some nice, high grade Star Wars items that we are unlikely to ever have the chance of owning and also give us the chance to watch them sell.

This is a hobby for all - not just the 'entitled'

That's not what it's meant to come across as,at all. :roll: Has nothing to do with big collectors vs little collectors, I've never acted as if anyone as a collector is beneath me. I'm just trying to point out that there are 2 sides to auction outing. As for Josh's feelings that I put myself on a pedestal and act entitled to things, not sure where that comes from, nor do I really care. I've worked hard and paid hard for the majority of the items in my collection. I don't expect anything handed to me.

Cheers
Joe

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Joseph_Y said:
NICE distraction....lol

Cheers
Joe

Well if it's not entertaining it is sheer ****ing boredom........we are talking about toys.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
The whole argument is mute in my opinion, the fact that you got the items for far less than you were willing to pay even the the auction was "outed" proves that very fact.

This forum is by collectors for collectors in every respect, Liam's super sleuth abilities are always met with appreciation on here and the majority of members are supportive of his efforts.

Good work Liam your a champ!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom