To break or not to break?

subzero

Sith Lord
Just got in this graded Fett for a sick price, thought i'd never own one due to how expensive these go for and the high asking prices, but seen this pop up for sale for a very fair price.

This is graded a 50 with a 'Y' ( bubble isn't even that yellow to me ), and i'm not an expert on grading in any way but IMO this is not a 50 to me at all, personally I see it as a 70 if I was to guess. The only thing wrong with this MOC is the creasing around the top which i'm actually happy with, and slight edge wear and small litho tear which i'll never even look at as a problem.

So the question is, I think this grade actually devalues the figure, so iv'e half thought of breaking this open to stick it in my own case so it wont have a shitty 50 grade taking attention away from the figure, and when it comes to selling it years later I think it would fetch a higher price ungraded.

What are your opinions do you think the grade devalues it?, or should it be left alone?, when does it become 'acceptable' to break a graded case open?... i'd like to break it open but don't know if i'd be making a big mistake doing that.

DSCF7922.JPG

DSCF7927.JPG

DSCF7925.JPG

kieatky

Jedi Master
Congratulations on the purchase mate, I saw it pop up for sale on Evil Bay and was deliberating hitting the 'buy it now' price and by the time I made my mind up it had gone. Glad its gone to someone on here though. As for the 'grade', ignore it, as long as you're happy with it then who cares what anyone else thinks :D

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
^^ exactly, who cares what the grade says, if you break it out you'll just have to buy another case so I'd leave it.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Is anyone other than you going to see this?
Does it really piss you off?
I personally think that a 50 grade can be opened without devaluation, but if it was mine I think I would be more worried about damaging it when breaking it out!
So for those reasons would leave it as was until you come to sell, if you ever do.
I like you suspect I will never own one, so congratulations and just enjoy him. :wink:

subzero

Sith Lord
Yeah I seen him pop up on ebay and decided to go for it, as soon as I looked at it I thought "that doesn't even look bad to me".. very happy I own it :)

Cheers guys that really puts it into perspective, I think i'll just leave it then, the grade isn't actually pissing me off to look at and there will only be a handful of people who will see it and won't even know what that 50 number means anyway :lol:

However I will def consider breaking it to put it in a normal case many years from now when it comes time to sell, because I think the grade would spoil it in that situation.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
SAVORY100 said:
Wouldn't even hesitate; break it out the moment it arrives
I assume that you have broken a few of these out over the years?
Have you ever caused any damage to the card?
I assume that the weak point is the joint along the bottom where the base meets the back?
Do you leaver that joint away carefully?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I dislike AFA cases full stop as you can't handle the card if needed, cannot support the bubble if you ever need to post or transport it, and cannot easily change cases if it gets scratched or damaged, plus I object to paying someone else to tell me their highly subjective and certainly no more expert than anyone else's opinion about how good something that I already own and can see with my own eyes is! Having said that, I love GW acrylic cases, as they display MOCs beautifully, but can be opened if needed, thus countering all of the objections listed above for AFA cases.

In this instance, if you're going to display Mr Fett and have no other reason for opening the AFA case, then I agree that leaving it alone is the most sensible option, in case you damage the card when opening the case (although if you're careful, you really shouldn't, but anyway...). You have a great display piece, and if you ever need to you can always open the AFA case in the future. In the meantime, enjoy your figure and congratulations on your purchase :)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
SAVORY100 said:
Wouldn't even hesitate; break it out the moment it arrives
I assume that you have broken a few of these out over the years?
Have you ever caused any damage to the card?
I assume that the weak point is the joint along the bottom where the base meets the back?
Do you leaver that joint away carefully?

I generally try to avoid buying graded items, but when I have I have always broken them out. Not getting into grading / grade bashing, its just not for me and I like all my MoCs to be in the same sized cases (GW Acrylic).

Really straight forward with everyone I've done; decent sized, sharp and good quality kitchen knife, into the gap at the back of the base, even firm pressure and the bottom comes clean off. One time it cracked rather than breaking on the seam, but that was just a quick pair of pliers to remove the edges so the card could be slid out and popped into a GW Acrylic case.

Thank fully I've never damaged a card or bubble in the process

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If all your other figures are in the same cases then I would match this one up. Otherwise I don't really see the point in breaking 'graded' figures out, I've seen threads on here and everyone makes a big thing about it as if it's a great thing for the hobby and something to celebrate, but each to their own I guess.

Personally I think it's as sad as the grade chases who obsess over high grades. It's a MOC Boba Fett in a nice shiny case, know one on here really cares about anything else so why even mention the grade good or bad.

Congratulations on that purchase by the way it's a really nice MOC for that price, amazing. :shock:

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
Holy Cow, what a bargain for that card. Congrats!
Don't worry about value and don't worry about the grade. It's a high collectible item anyway. I think, I would leave it as is.
Personally I dont't like graded MOCs, but as soon as you don't want to sell it, there is no reason to get it out of the case.
For shipping reasons I would break it up to protect the blister.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Awesome price! 8) Just bought graded Fett myself and busted him out straight away. However, his footer was out of place and I couldn't live with that :lol: Reckon I would've freed him whatever, as I like to be able to handle my MOCs and don't care how good someone else says it is ;)

subzero

Sith Lord
Yeah £175 without postage, couldn't believe my luck when I bought it, I thought for sure there was some kind of a catch before it arrived, but then it arrived and it was all perfect with a good bubble. :wink:

Hmm seems to be about 50/50 mixed views over cracking it, the case is actually the exact same size as the standard GW ones and matches perfect with my others. So I think i'll be leaving it as is until it comes time to sell it one day, then i'll crack it open and sell it in a GW case so there's no grade and also to protect the bubble, ( I was nervous it could actually be cracked/split upon arrival ).

This is my first graded figure because I usually stay away from them, which is why I wasn't fully sure on what to do with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Beautiful figure deemed mediocre by the grading world.

I'd break it if I knew what I was doing ( which I don't ).

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Firstly that's a 'great price' easily worth 2x that. Would definitely bring more ungraded, but if you aren't bothered by the low grade I don't see the point in opening it. If you come to sell it would make sense, from a protection point of view as well as value but it's essentially in a decent acrylic case already that you would only need to replace.

If anyone who doesnt know any better asks, just tell them the AFA score figures on a scale from 1 to 50.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom