A Bit Of IT Security Advice

plantman

Sith Lord
I have been amazed recently by the amount of home and corporate firewalls that actually allow rogue traffic through, most of you will have a decent hardware firewall in your router. You also need a software firewall.

Here is a good way to test how secure you are behind your firewall

go to this website https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

click on proceed, when the sheildsup page comes up, click on the All Service Ports
tab and the service will attempt to test all major ports on your computer for access.

your computer should pass with all green stealthed ports, if there are any red you have either opened the ports yourself or you do not have sufficient protection, blue means the port is blocked but visible to hacking.

just thought this might be usefull, somr of you may already have other ays of testing.

Andy

Joe

Grand Master
hey I did it as well, but I got this ? What does that mean ? :shock:

plantman

Sith Lord
whiteskinnydroid said:
hey I did it as well, but I got this ? What does that mean ? :shock:

LOL i think your fine mate, dont worry, all the signs point to you being totally in control :)

plantman

Sith Lord
its quite annoying when you have a software firewall and you actually see how many programs on your computer access the internet silently, relaying information back to the vendors servers, essentially any information about your machine and IP details are being sent. I always block it all.

plantman

Sith Lord
genarally your router will do all the blocking, stu's has come back bad so im helping him out.

still need software fierwall to stop applications talling to the net.

burnsy

Sith Lord
Massive thankyou to Andy who has sorted my laptop today.

Basically I know naff all about computers and he pointed out that I have no Firewall etc and was at risk!!

Thanks mate, well went out of your way helping me, I owe you muchas Cerveza hombre :D 8)

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
burnsy said:
Massive thankyou to Andy who has sorted my laptop today.

Basically I know naff all about computers and he pointed out that I have no Firewall etc and was at risk!!

Thanks mate, well went out of your way helping me, I owe you muchas Cerveza hombre :D 8)

Glad Andy helped you out Stu!

Ton's of my family members have no clue about P.C protection im forever going round and sorting them out.

burnsy

Sith Lord
Mate I think it was probably laughable how bad mine was!!

Andy must have thought I was a right tool.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom