Anyone else have a fear of blood tests and needles?

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
I've had an irregular heart beat for a month now that hasn't gone away. I put off going to the docs because of the blood tests and hoped it would go but it hasn't. Visited the docs this morning and was told I needed to have an ecg and an echo but before those a blood test

This is all happening on Wednesday morning and I'm bricking it!

Think I'll have to just look the other way and count to 60 seconds or just think of some nice boobs

Any of you guys have this fear??

It's such a pain! Sweating just thinking about it

yoda

Sith Lord
I'm not to bad with needles but the dentist drill is a bit off putting. But I suppose everyone hates that. If it's a blood test you really won't feel much. I found it a bit like a wasp sting not much more.
Grip and squeeze the chair with your other hand and don't look and you'll be fine.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Love needles me :lol: :lol:

Must do, I keep going back to my tattooist for more pain :shock:

Russ :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't mind needles and blood in general or the dentist. In fact prefer that than getting my haircut. Not sure why.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Don't like needles. Not that the pain bothers me, it's just the thought of it going in. I was taught a bit of a trick by an anesthetist when I was having a cannula inserted and a general anaesthetic. I told him I had to look away as I couldn't watch and he told me to look at the opposite wall and keep coughing. He put the needle in during a cough and I didn't feel a thing, nor even know it went in.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Andrew, you have already come up with the best answer, look away and think of boobs... :roll:
Works for me every time, unless the Phlebotomist (blood doctor) has a great pair, then look at those, :eek: it's over in less than 20 seconds anyway.
Seriously NOT going and getting this sorted will be a LOT more painful in the long run!
I had the tests that you will be having 20 years ago, still have to have yearly blood tests, 3 monthly check ups and 3 tablets a day, and much to my wife's disgust, I'm still here making everyone's life more intresting. :lol:
Good luck and "think of England"...
If you would like to PM instead send me a mesage.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Andrew, you have already come up with the best answer, look away and think of boobs... :roll:
Works for me every time, unless the Phlebotomist (blood doctor) has a great pair, then look at those, :eek: it's over in less than 20 seconds anyway.

Ehhh are we still talking about injections here?

I'm fine with needles everywhere except in my mouth. Which does make fillings from the dentist ehhhh painful. I sit down and she just drills away. No anaesthetic. Or no ****ing brains as my missus says.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Hate injections/blood tests. Concentrate on your breathing- I realised I always felt faint because I was holding my breath :lol: Been better since I concentrated on steady breathing ;)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
weasel said:
Mini99 said:

I'm fine with needles everywhere except in my mouth. Which does make fillings from the dentist ehhhh painful. I sit down and she just drills away. No anaesthetic. Or no ****ing brains as my missus says.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Only you could miss read that! :!:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:
weasel said:
Mini99 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Only you could miss read that! :!:

:wink: :lol:

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
this is why I love this forum!

Thank you all so much for the support, advice and kind words

I will just look away and count to 60 and it'll be all over with, i'll still be bricking it tomorrow morning before hand, my appointment is at 9am and I cant eat after midnight tonight or eat/drink anything in the morning, feel a bit like a gremlin

You guys are right, in the long run it'll be worth it just facing the other way for a minute for them to find out what's going on

cheers
Andrew

yoda

Sith Lord
It could be worse, I knew a guy got the old umbrella treatment. It gets inserted closed but pulled out open. He said it would bring a tear to any man's eye.

subzero

Sith Lord
The worst part is fearing the fear, you need to face it to make you realise it's just a tiny harmless thing.

Last year I tried out some muscle building peptides for a while, basically injectable amino acids which I obviously had to do myself, I was a little nervous putting the needle in for the very first time but doing that act myself made me completely get used to needles very quickly. When you do it yourself and actually watch the needle going in and out then afterwards you think "huh is that it?"..I even started looking forward to doing it. :lol:

I'd suggest when you have the injection, purposely watch it going in and pay attention to what it feels like even if it terrifies you and you'll realise it's not that bad, if you get scared and look away then it only reinforces the fear and you'll always be scared of them because you're telling yourself you're scared.

Good luck with your tests though, usually ailments like that turn out to be nothing or very minor.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
yoda said:
It could be worse, I knew a guy got the old umbrella treatment. It gets inserted closed but pulled out open. He said it would bring a tear to any man's eye.

"Bring a tear to any man's eye" now that's just too easy

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
It went really well

I felt like crap all morning and was a bag of nerves when I turned up

The nurse was excellent, re-assured me and started chatting to me about football

I looked the other way the whole time and it was over in 2 minutes

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
pizzathehutt said:
I looked the other way the whole time and it was over in 2 minutes

I had a similar experience with a nurse back in my single days :lol:

Glad it went well mate 8)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
yoda said:

"Knew a guy" nudge nudge wink wink.

Bet you knew a guy who had to have his prostate checked as well.

Bet there is a lot of guys on the forum of a certain age who also knew a guy who had to have their prostate checked as well!!!!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom