best material / glue to use for resealing

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Resealed aren't for me but I dont have an issue, provided it's all original parts and fully disclosed if passed on, why not. Some of the rarest pieces I have seen have been reseals as the original Mocs just don't exist in number.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
_Lee_ said:
Ross_Barr said:
Certainly don't glue it back on for many reasons

Why Ross?

To be honest, I am a purist. I don't like repros. I don't like U-grades. I don't like people bleaching or customizing figures. And I don't like people resealing MOCs. I totally get that reseals are more accepted in the community than the other stuff I mentioned, but people still get scammed by reseals, and I am of the view that resealing with glue a bubble onto a card back (which is presumably a minty card back if someone thinks it is reseal worthy) ruins a good card back that someone else might like to collect.

_Lee_ said:
tiefighterboy said:
There is nothing wrong with resealed figures. Repro cardbacks are a different story.

Exactly. Its time the people trying to 'police' the hobby and push their ideas shut their trap. There is nothing wrong with resealing an all original figure, repros are different altogether.

Perhaps the people pricing the hobby out of the market should bang their head against a brick wall and stop playing over inflated prices - i.e. the Facebook brigade :roll: :D

If you're talking to me, I'll keep my trap open if I like. Not sure what overinflated prices or Facebook have to do with any of this either, Lee. Clearly you just want to pick a fight. Whatever man.

maxf

Jedi Master
I've got a couple of reseals - nothing wrong with them imo providing the bubble and card are original and you aren't trying to fool anybody.

My resealed cards don't exist in big enough numbers sealed for me to ever own them.

I'd use prit or something.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
maxf said:
I've got a couple of reseals - nothing wrong with them imo providing the bubble and card are original and you aren't trying to fool anybody.

My resealed cards don't exist in big enough numbers sealed for me to ever own them.

I'd use prit or something.

Agreed Max that some items are so rare that only a reseal may be available. Hell, I would take a Meccano Han is any condition, and likely the only ones available would likely be resealed.

But that's different than saying I would reseal a MOC myself. I just wouldn't. But that's just me.

Of course the same argument could be made with people that make recarded figures as what you said above about reseals. Folks collecting recards say they are ok because they plan to keep them for themselves and would disclose them as recards to the next person if they sell. But what if that next person doesn't disclose it as a recard or a reseal? That stuff happens ALL THE TIME.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Ross_Barr said:
_Lee_ said:
Ross_Barr said:
Certainly don't glue it back on for many reasons

Why Ross?

To be honest, I am a purist. I don't like repros. I don't like U-grades. I don't like people bleaching or customizing figures. And I don't like people resealing MOCs. I totally get that reseals are more accepted in the community than the other stuff I mentioned, but people still get scammed by reseals, and I am of the view that resealing with glue a bubble onto a card back (which is presumably a minty card back if someone thinks it is reseal worthy) ruins a good card back that someone else might like to collect.

_Lee_ said:
tiefighterboy said:
There is nothing wrong with resealed figures. Repro cardbacks are a different story.

Exactly. Its time the people trying to 'police' the hobby and push their ideas shut their trap. There is nothing wrong with resealing an all original figure, repros are different altogether.

Perhaps the people pricing the hobby out of the market should bang their head against a brick wall and stop playing over inflated prices - i.e. the Facebook brigade :roll: :D

If you're talking to me, I'll keep my trap open if I like. Not sure what overinflated prices or Facebook have to do with any of this either, Lee. Clearly you just want to pick a fight. Whatever man.

Ross, im not wanting to pick a fight - I got over that stage a few years back :)

Its just kind of ignorant to make out that people who want to reseal a figure have to be told that they should bang their head against a wall - no? I was merely stating that some people may think that others pay ridiculous over inflated prices for some things and that maybe that could mean that they should bang their heads against the wall ? I suppose that after so many years of this ridiculous notion that people try to police the hobby, let it go - it isn't going to happen. If someone wants to collect reseals, fair play to them - if someone spends £10,000 on a single piece - fair play to them aswell. There are no written rules in this hobby, and there certainly isn't a law against collecting how you want.

The over inflated price thing was merely a statement that Facebook HAS without a doubt pushed collecting limits too far for some people. In some ways it may have helped, but I feel its been more destructive to the hobby in general. It seems to be dick swinging contest for most parts, but when people are paying 5-10 times over the odds for an item then something isn't right. I would hazard a guess and say that most collectors on Facebook don't have a clue, and only have large bank accounts because from what I see it certainly isn't done for the right reasons.

Anyways, sorry if I offended you.Peace

Lee

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
No way are reseals and reproductions in the same ball park. It's great some of you are purist to that extent, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Many members on this forum own some as well as myself. As of late, some of the strong opinions from other sites have been , in my opinion, crammed down our throats on this forum. It's becoming a tired theme.

starwarsfan72

Padawan
Palifan said:
starwarsfan72 said:
Just a quick question what's the best material / glue to use for resealing original card and bubble ? Been collecting moc for a while now and started to look down the original reseal & beater avenue for own personal collection.

Hi and welcome!

I would go with glue but use it very sparingly so as not to get the card to wet (which could cause rippling). Tape will always dry out over time and probably go yellow. Also I would try to just glue behind where any paper is left on the bubble ( if it's the bubble area you want to re-stick), as you will probably see the glue behind any areas that are clear on the bubble.

As for reseals, I don't think they look too bad to me :wink:

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13119

Ian

Thanks to ever one for there input, hope its not caused to much friction, but then I guess that's what forums are sometimes about passionate people with different views.

Ian palifan bloody wonderful collection of carded figures.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I don't see the point of reseals once it's out the bubble it looks much better as a loosie on display.
Do folk buy in repro bubbles for the reseal since I'm guessing most bubbles were thrown out?

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Some are still attached to the card. Some guys don't want them others do. It does not damage the hobby unless it is a perfect reseal and most are not.

maxf

Jedi Master
kingshearer said:
I don't see the point of reseals once it's out the bubble it looks much better as a loosie on display.
Do folk buy in repro bubbles for the reseal since I'm guessing most bubbles were thrown out?

The only reveals I'm remotely interested in are with the original bubbles - normally these weren't completely ripped off the cards and my couple are pretty much still 50% factory sealed. I don't see the point in repairing a card back and adding a repro bubble - maybe that's what Ross is so anti?

yoda

Sith Lord
Yeah resealing not for me either I don't see any point in it. I would love some figures carded but i know will never own them because of cost. I would prefer to have the figures loose because I would know what I have resealed has been tampered with and is not in its original form.
I once got ripped off with a toy toni. I had it bought and later found out about the guy and realised I bought one of his figures. I will probably never sell it because I will never get the money back I paid for it. But I look upon that figure almost like a lose figure because I know it's not factory sealed.
But we are all collecting the same figures and how ever which way anyone else wants to collect is there own business. I don't think theres any right or wrong way regarding reseals.
I think where the problem starts if it's passed on and someone ends up buying it with no knowledge about it being resealed.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
_Lee_ said:
Ross, im not wanting to pick a fight - I got over that stage a few years back :)

Its just kind of ignorant to make out that people who want to reseal a figure have to be told that they should bang their head against a wall - no? I was merely stating that some people may think that others pay ridiculous over inflated prices for some things and that maybe that could mean that they should bang their heads against the wall ? I suppose that after so many years of this ridiculous notion that people try to police the hobby, let it go - it isn't going to happen. If someone wants to collect reseals, fair play to them - if someone spends £10,000 on a single piece - fair play to them aswell. There are no written rules in this hobby, and there certainly isn't a law against collecting how you want.

The over inflated price thing was merely a statement that Facebook HAS without a doubt pushed collecting limits too far for some people. In some ways it may have helped, but I feel its been more destructive to the hobby in general. It seems to be dick swinging contest for most parts, but when people are paying 5-10 times over the odds for an item then something isn't right. I would hazard a guess and say that most collectors on Facebook don't have a clue, and only have large bank accounts because from what I see it certainly isn't done for the right reasons.

Anyways, sorry if I offended you.Peace

Lee

Fair enough, Lee. I may have been a bit strong about the head banging comment, and I do see both sides on the issue. Your heart always seems to be in the right place too, so no worries. I think we will have to disagree about certain rules of the hobby not being important to discuss though. There are new people entering the hobby daily, and those people need to learn what the community disfavors - regardless whether some people beat the "they are my toys" drum or not - and discussing those issues is the best path to education. Reseals are certainly better than repros, so I agree with you on that. I personally wouldn't reseal a bubble to a card though. But that's just me.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Discuss it all you want. Reseals and customs are part of this hobby and always have been. If you don't like them great..If you love them great. Just don't lump them in with repros , U grading and bleaching. They are a different story altogether.

and You disfavor reseals and customs..not sure about the "Community" as a whole.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom