ebay charge import fees

Guys sorry if this has been discussed but I only noticed this.
When did ebay start charging import taxes from the USA and is there any way to get around this?
David

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Does that mean if we buy on ebay in usa and want it mailed to europe then ebay will charging import taxes ? :?

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
It's a really weird and ****ed up system. A lot of US sellers are voicing their discust about it and a lot who have signed up want to get out of it. Apparently, US sellers who have signed up to this scheme, once their items have sold, instead of sending it direct to the buyer, they sent it to a central warehouse who then deal with any fees on the item and then ship it onto the buyer. It has put me off even looking at US ebay now. Its crap.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
That sounds very bad :cry:

Maybe sellers just need a new auction site to sell star wars and ebay is the past :?

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Yeah I raised this a couple of months back. Luckily the seller managed to send me an invoice and sorted it that way, but no way would I ever pay the import duty to ebay, you just know it will be a whole load of mither when.your parcel lands here in the UK and HMRC get their grubby hands on it.

lee gray

Sith Lord
Thats crap. First I heard of it. I still always ask for the 30 dollar gift option.
My question is this, say I purchased a toy in the UK and sold it to america and a few years later see the exact same toy i use to own on ebay and want it back, I shouldnt have to pay tax on a toy I have previously paid tax on.

plantman

Sith Lord
yeah ebay now put USA international sales on the global shipping program, where you have to pay ebay extra money and taxes for them to ship the parcel to you, they can opt out, but they are put in automatically unless they send an invoice.

another ebay farce

lee gray

Sith Lord
I was just about to purchase something on ebay for £350 as thought it was a UK auction but when I clicked the link it takes me to the auction in US dollars first with estimated import tax of $121 ....**** that ****. I will never buy anything on auction where I am 100 percent guaranteed of paying the tax.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
I mentioned on other thread about this.

I purchased something off a US seller not noticing the Import Tax and had a shock when the invoice was asking an extra $16 for taxes. Seller told me he had no control over this.

Anyway seller contacted ebay and they said to 'get round the system' the buyer needs to request another invoice, that way the seller can update the invoice and remove the charges.

It worked and because the seller marked item as gift as well no charges at all.

But the whole system is a complete farce and unless you get clued up on it you fall foul of it's money grabbing ways, which pisses everyone off

It has seriously put me off buying from US sellers (not their fault) to face this nearly every time.

Gonna stick with UK and European sellers on ebay from now on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom