House Improvements Help Needed

Jez

Sith Lord
So lads, as some of you will know, last year i had to sell my 70+ carded figures in order to get myself on the housing ladder.

We are now in the situation that we are looking at turning our 3 bedroom semi into a 4, by building up on top of the single floor extension that was built about 10-15 years ago.
Our house downstairs is reasonably sized, upstairs it is small. We now want to build on top of the extension and make it a bigger house.

It should be, given the foundations and original build quality be a straight forward job. I've already done a simple plan which makes a large master bedroom with en suite adjacent to the already in place bathroom (easy plumbing).
Are you a designer/draughtsman/architect? I'm sure i'll be able to sort this, but it would be cool if there was a SWFUKer who was an expert in this field.
It's actually fairly exciting

lejackal

Grand Master
I have no skills of any use to you in your latest adventure but I will wish you luck!!

Jez

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
I have no skills of any use to you in your latest adventure but I will wish you luck!!

Thanks Dude

yoda said:
Have you any any mocs left for bargaining chips ? :lol:

Well i have a nice Tri Logo Yak Face and 14 Luke X-Wing MOCs but i have no plans on saying goodbye to them, i've got to keep something :)

yoda

Sith Lord
Jez said:
Well i have a nice Tri Logo Yak Face and 14 Luke X-Wing MOCs but i have no plans on saying goodbye to them, i've got to keep something :)

:lol:
It will be simple enough what your doing is the roof slate? What year was the house built roughly?

Jez

Sith Lord
60s house. Garage converted and extended into a large J (slot) shaped kitchen. Intend to build on top of large/kitchen extension. This extension was made 10-15 years ago

yoda

Sith Lord
Jez said:
60s house. Garage converted and extended into a large J (slot) shaped kitchen. Intend to build on top of large/kitchen extension. This extension was made 10-15 years ago

The only reason I asked about slate is because of asbestos (older slate may contain it), if your cutting into the old roofing that's wer the planing will pickup.
Other than that it should be pretty straight forward.
Plus check the soffit and fascia board if they are made of timber.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Adding an extra room is only going to make you buy more display cases and moc's. Just saying.

TwistedMetal

Sith Lord
Hi Jez hope your well mate, building control will ask you to expose the existing footings on your extension buddy, an extension which was built 10-15 years ago there's a good chance the concrete won't be thick enough unless you asked them to thicken them knowing you would be extending in the future, hope this doesn't put a downer on things just something to be aware of, also you tend to find regs in different areas can be a little more lax, I find that extensions I build the best way forward is to use freelance building control as apposed to the council there a little more laid back.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Hey Jez,

I'm a structural engineer so I do this stuff all the time and I'd be happy to help anyway I can.

If you PM me your phone number I'll give you a ring and chat it through.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Hey jez, I'm no expert but also about to do an extension. Should be starting in the next 2 months. I may be able to help a little. Im certainly not that clued up though tbh.

Hope all is well with you

Chris

Jez

Sith Lord
Thanks guys. Best of luck Chris.

Well he has your photo amongst his photos :? :eek:

spoons

Grand Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
I'm not on Facebook so I don't know how you managed that!

:lol: :lol:

I can be of absolutely no help either but good luck Jez

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom