Overall did you like or dislike the Force Awakens?

Overall did you like/enjoy the Force Awakens or dislike/not enjoy the film?

• Like/enjoy the Force Awakens

Votes: 118 89.4%
  • Dislike/not enjoy the Force Awakens

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

RBT84

Youngling
Overall I really enjoyed the film, maybe a little to much fan service at times however I felt it was a great introduction and I can't wait for VIII.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
StarWarsFan said:
Personally didn't like it much at all. Found it boring and not very good at all. Am going to see it again with a mate may have another opinion after seeing it again but still not sure if will like it. Sticking to the originals.

See this is the power of this film and Star Wars in general. Someone who doesn't like it much at all, finds it boring and not very good at all, is going back to watch it again.. just to make sure. I've walked out of the Cinema before ecstatic about a film, blown away, and I haven't gone back to watch it again :!: This is no dig at you at all StarWarsFan, you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you get something out of it 2nd time round. Oh, I would ****ing love to go and watch this film with some of you guys, in a nice big empty cinema! :D

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
StarWarsFan said:
Personally didn't like it much at all. Found it boring and not very good at all. Am going to see it again with a mate may have another opinion after seeing it again but still not sure if will like it. Sticking to the originals.

See this is the power of this film and Star Wars in general. Someone who doesn't like it much at all, finds it boring and not very good at all, is going back to watch it again.. just to make sure. I've walked out of the Cinema before ecstatic about a film, blown away, and I haven't gone back to watch it again :!: This is no dig at you at all StarWarsFan, you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you get something out of it 2nd time round. Oh, I would ****ing love to go and watch this film with some of you guys, in a nice big empty cinema! :D

So true. How many films have I "loved" and only gone to see once with NO desire to go again. This is just so very different in that respect. I'm going for the 3rd time on the 28th and a 4th before my return to work.

Challenge for Dave Tree at the next FF: Private viewing in the town hall!

I still cannot quite believe this is only the first of 6 SW films over the next 6 years......Just mind-blowingly incredible. Happy-happy joy-joy :D

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Have to agree. This film gets better and better. Just returned from a 3rd showing. I agree with Spoons as this could well be the greatest SW movie ever (ssh dont tell RS!) Daisy Ridley is just something else!! 8)

Never felt so good to be a SW Fan and I think this has workd in getting the "bug" back for me! :D :D :D

tundra9

Sith Lord
Just can't decide wether I like it or not, sure it was a rehash of sorts, but then again, so was rotj AND tpm.
Keep getting drawn to the toys, which is odd, considering they aren't that good, and wanting to see it again, without the fear I had going in...
Loved some moments, and didn't like some other moments.
Wondering if I should wait until I get a chance to see it at the cinema again or if I should watch the crappy mexican camrip I got yesterday(almost like watching a worn out vhs tape) :p

Palifan

Sith Lord
I understand why a few have mentioned reboot due to the story line being quite similar in a lot of places but the end of the day it is called Episode 7 so I'm sure it wasn't really intended as one.

For me I did really enjoy it (especially the first 20 minutes or so where I thought JJ really nailed it), but I do think there are quite a few story points that are strange. The more I think about it the more odd moments come to mind but it does play on your mind as a whole and I do feel like I need to see it again to see how I feel. From what I've heard it gets better and better on repeat viewing so I'm expecting this to happen to me.

I did think that the overall acting was really good in it and loved the new characters, I think that's what makes it so enjoyable and finally there's a really good, strong female character out there (after Leia that is)! There was also a lot more humour in it than I've seen before in a Star Wars film and generally I thought that also worked well.

To sum it up for me, JJ made a very exciting family movie and knows how to get the best from his cast (as well as getting the casting right), but it's a shame the story couldn't have been worked on some more. It did feel like Star Wars to me although it does make me wonder how much better the prequels could have been with betting actors (or at least a director who cared more about their performance), and a little less enthusiasm for creating a CG world. It's not perfect but ticks enough boxes for me, maybe now with this one out of the way things will be able to settle into a nice rhythm. Can you also imagine the impact of Hans storyline if George had done it? That really would have been a bold move on his part!

Ian

kieatky

Jedi Master
I took my son to watch TFA yesterday (my second time of viewing). I noticed a few things I missed on the early hours show (Ren referring to Vader as Grandfather). I still feel it's a brilliant film, very enjoyable but still not enough to give me the same emotional feel as the OT.

lee gray

Sith Lord
saw it 3 times in the cinema and once online (shhhhhh) first two times i loved it so much, third time i was a bit bored but take that one out of the equation as on its own i thought it was awesome, third time had aload of noisy kids and believe it or not a guy fall asleep and snoring which pissed me off so much.

i thought kylo ren was a great villain and general hux, wish the main baddie wasnt CGI though. only thing i really felt wasnt needed in the movie was the two gangs surrounding solo as didnt do anything for me.

x-pack

Grand Master
lee gray said:
only thing i really felt wasnt needed in the movie was the two gangs surrounding solo as didnt do anything for me.

YES! I forgot all about that. I liked how Solo had gone back to being a scoundrel, but the thing with the stupid monsters and those two gangs, and the Scottish guy. That whole scene was a bit cringey. Han using Chewie's gun was pretty funny I thought.

x-pack

Grand Master
Palifan said:
Can you also imagine the impact of Hans storyline if George had done it? That really would have been a bold move on his part!

Ian

Do you mean if it had happened in Jedi instead of TFA?

Because i've heard things mentioned in various old 'making of' interviews this story line didn't surprise me at all. It made sense I guess, not because the story needed it, more because of actors wishes and demands. Saying that I'm hoping Lando comes back in some way. Maybe Fin is his son :shock: :eek:

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well I have to say experiencing it in IMAX 3D is fantastic 8) 8)

Also 2nd time round is defo better as many have said :D

SOJ

Sith Lord
I'm a little late to the party chiming in here. I've seen it 4 times now, going again tomorrow with brother who hasn't been able to see it yet and again on New Years Day with my mum and dad. So yes I like it a lot.

I did the whole midnight thing with some friends who aren't really Star Wars "fans". They all loved it but couldn't understand why I was questioning whether I liked it or not. I went again the following night and it blew me away.

Not sure if I was just being too tired at the midnight screening or I was just really anxious about it being good after all the hype.

It's definitely no turkey, where it stands in my personal ranking is yet to be decided but at this moment in time it's number 2. May fall back to 3rd or 4th once the bluray comes out.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Saw it again my mate nagged me to go. I can honestly say I really dislike the film won't be getting it on DVD or Blue Ray.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I just re-watched Revenge Of The Sith today with my young lad and that film really is terrible, generally a load of garbage thrown at you with mainly awful dialogue to accompany it. I'm thinking that even with the amount of Jar Jar TFM is the best of the lot for the prequels.

George is good with coming up with fresh ideas and creating the whole Star Wars universe but he really did give up on the acting and dialogue side of things as time went on. Also with no one seeming to tell George no, it all went from bad to worse for me. TFA definitely has it's problems in places but I do think it's still very entertaining and hopefully the series will strengthen with time…..I do hope so anyway!

Ian

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Palifan said:
I just re-watched Revenge Of The Sith today with my young lad and that film really is terrible, generally a load of garbage thrown at you with mainly awful dialogue to accompany it. I'm thinking that even with the amount of Jar Jar TFM is the best of the lot for the prequels.

George is good with coming up with fresh ideas and creating the whole Star Wars universe but he really did give up on the acting and dialogue side of things as time went on. Also with no one seeming to tell George no, it all went from bad to worse for me. TFA definitely has it's problems in places but I do think it's still very entertaining and hopefully the series will strengthen with time…..I do hope so anyway!

Ian

I think there's some truth in Lucas giving up after The Phantom Menace. I don't think many understand what a personal movie that was to him. He wasn't only returning to the universe that made him, he was indulging his lifelong passion for cars and motorsport with the lengthy podrace sequence (actually when the DVD was released it became apparent that he actually shot a whole lot more of the pod sequence which didn't make it into the already long theatrical race - it really is the centrepiece of the film).

It is physically tiring making a film, he's not a young man anymore. He's also lived a cosseted life of a billionaire, and his previous films had all been pre-internet - the unfiltered audience reaction and mocking to TPM must have shocked him.

I don't think his heart was in it any more after that. AOTC and ROTS both look like a film maker going through the motions. Greenscreen rather than location shooting because that's easier. Digital because that's easier than film. Not engaging with actors, to bring them to their best, even when their performances are clearly wooden and clunky.

He'd had enough, he was done, and the proof of that was that he sold up and called it a day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom