Overall did you like or dislike the Force Awakens?

Overall did you like/enjoy the Force Awakens or dislike/not enjoy the film?

• Like/enjoy the Force Awakens

Votes: 118 89.4%
  • Dislike/not enjoy the Force Awakens

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I wouldn't ever knock Lucas because of what he created, but like everything in life sometimes you've just got to accept you're not good at some things and as a director he just wasn't good. When Carrie Fisher was on Pre-TFA she said she'd only ever had direction from Lucas in one scene (the destruction of Alderaan scene). In anyone's book, that's not a lot of direction and she was hardly even an established actress at that point, she'd only done a couple of films.

The fact that completing ANH brought Lucas to the brink of a nervous breakdown probably didn't endear him to the job later in his career either!

I think as well, he probably got a bit arrogant when he directed the PT and thought people would be blown away by the CGI and effects and acting and, less so, story, wouldn't really matter.

r1hvy

Padawan
I do share some peoples issues about the story line being very similar to the original trilogy but over all it was a great film. The action sequences are much more believable than the prequels and the whole film was very entertain.ing

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
I guess that by saying 'watching the movie several times makes it better' it sounds like drinking of wine. As I don't like wine very much :cry: and prefer a cold beer :D , I am afraid that TFA had to be more like a ready and steady cold beer to me. It's my opinion that you must be convinced from the very first moment. That didn't work for me after watching TFA for the first time. Looks like JJ has put too many elements from the original movies into this one. I've experienced a kind of rollercoaster feeling, much pace without focus on a good story. Maybe I will watch this movie again on DVD, but for now I don't feel the urge of watching it again. Where's that cold beer! :lol:

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
lee gray said:
only thing i really felt wasn't needed in the movie was the two gangs surrounding solo as didnt do anything for me.

YES! I forgot all about that. I liked how Solo had gone back to being a scoundrel, but the thing with the stupid monsters and those two gangs, and the Scottish guy. That whole scene was a bit cringey. Han using Chewie's gun was pretty funny I thought.

This was IMO a direct reference to the Han Solo adventures in the original Marvel comics - full of run ins with gangs and moving cargo/pursuing treasure to pay someone off or settle a debt. Han Solo is a scoundrel, he gets into situations, thats how we first meet him, he got his ship in a card game, he owes a gangster money, he had a run in with a bounty hunter just before ESB. This is his life and this is his character. I can't fathom why people dont like this scene, its pure Han Solo and Chewie doesnt even back him up when everyones pointing the finger.. add to that the Rathtar trying to suck the screen off the cockpit - i almost stood up and applauded the whole sequence because finally we had Han Solo in his environment. Brilliant.

x-pack

Grand Master
naughtyjedi said:
x-pack said:
lee gray said:
only thing i really felt wasn't needed in the movie was the two gangs surrounding solo as didnt do anything for me.

YES! I forgot all about that. I liked how Solo had gone back to being a scoundrel, but the thing with the stupid monsters and those two gangs, and the Scottish guy. That whole scene was a bit cringey. Han using Chewie's gun was pretty funny I thought.

This was IMO a direct reference to the Han Solo adventures in the original Marvel comics - full of run ins with gangs and moving cargo/pursuing treasure to pay someone off or settle a debt. Han Solo is a scoundrel, he gets into situations, thats how we first meet him, he got his ship in a card game, he owes a gangster money, he had a run in with a bounty hunter just before ESB. This is his life and this is his character. I can't fathom why people dont like this scene, its pure Han Solo and Chewie doesnt even back him up when everyones pointing the finger.. add to that the Rathtar trying to suck the screen off the cockpit - i almost stood up and applauded the whole sequence because finally we had Han Solo in his environment. Brilliant.

Han going back to being a smuggler made perfect sense I thought. Nothing wrong with that. The beasts onboard his ship ...mmm, ok. It's only my personal opinion but I found the sudden arrival of these two gangs right at the very moment Han has picked up Rey and Fin a bit too (i'm not sure of the word) ...convenient. A lot of things happen in the movie just at the right time, making it feel rushed. But to get the story moving i'm cool with that. I just think the Han/gang thing kind of crashed it's way into the film in some ways. It's more the way it happened than what happened.

And my other dislike - the red soldier dudes looked like they belong in an Action Force movie and the other guys as henchmen for a Batman villain. I didn't care much for the Scottish bloke. Can't really explain why. Could be something to do with strong regional accents in Star Wars. Rey's voice annoyed me a bit as well. Bit too Oxbridge to be a scavenger on some shithole planet. But hey ho.

...I'll shut up now before I start to look like a Scottish person racist :?

For the record, I ****ing love this film. It's just fun to have a moan at times. We all do it :wink:

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
Well, Abrams married to Irish Katie McGrath and loving the isle Skellige Michael, which seems to be a favorite place to relax for JJ. So the ending of TFA becomes by all means a cliffhanger :lol:

Sean1Sgaming

Youngling
I really enjoyed the film and absolutely love Kylo Ren's character. I can't wait to see how he develops as the films go on. It really felt closer to the original trilogy. Roll on the Blue Ray release!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I really like TFA.

It's not perfect, but who expected a 42 year-old man to think it is! I felt the whole 'blow up Starkiller base' part was a bit shoehorned and I found myself zoning out a little there. Get the shield down to blow the reactor to to destroy the...

But there's so much to love. The new characters are really likeable - which is half the battle. The villain is great too - when I first saw images of Ren I thought he looked a bit dull, design-wis, but he has a lot of presence.

I'm looking forward to the bluray. I'm looking forward to the next films. Star Wars is good.

Mr. Bob A. Feet

Jedi Knight
Seen it only once, so can only judge from one viewing but I'd have to say like but far from love. Maybe after watching a few more times I might enjoy more I do think they'll (rest of trilogy) get better though and the Episode VIII Production Announcement trailer is cool or maybe that's just my love for the farmboy!

stormcab

Sith Lord
Watched 3/4 of the way through on a flight over to the US as my second viewing. For me the TFA missed the mark on the first viewing, and was even worse on the second. The opening few moments was well edited and has you immediately excited, but then when Poe is kneeling before Ren and asks "so who speaks first", the comedy timing is both off and not in the right tone of what is going on in the scene with people being slaughtered. The humour off timing continues throughout the film like Ren cutting up the computer panel with his lightsaber, and a similar one later where the 2 troopers turn and walk away when he's having an off moment. It's just too SPACEBALLS.

Other problems I remember

- "that's a piece of garbage" (referring to the MF) which just so happens can fly, outmaneuvre 2 TIE fighters, and also do LIGHT speed!

- Finn's "change of heart" was supposedly sorted out by Phasma, but he still decided still help Poe escape

- Also, Ren saw and sensed Finn's trooper was "off" so why didn't he do something when he looks over

- crappy CGI monsters and "gangsters" on Han's ship. They are so nonthreatening it's a joke, and that Scottish accent. Please.

- crappy CGI Snoke and Maz. Made such a fuss about using little CGI, so these were unnecessary, should have been puppets.

- Han & Leia's acting was cardboard as hell.

- Wow, the trooper who has a duel with Finn just so happens to have a similar weapon to a lightsaber

- that X-wing that shoots a Stormtrooper standing 2 feet away from Han is a bloody good shot!

- wow, an ex Stormtrooper, Finn, is able to last more than 2 seconds in a lightsaber duel with a Sith Lord

- Shouty General Hux. The previous Imperial commanders/Admirals were menacing without trying so hard.

I have lots of other little issues which I can't recall right now.

I am annoyed that so many of you enjoyed it, as I really want to too, and was hoping the second viewing would sort me out, but just made it worse.

Sorry folks.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
That was the space equivalent of Rab C Nesbitt with the Scottish accent!

I agree on some of those points, and i myself am not getting the urgent need to rewatch it BUT Sonny loves it and thats enough for me. My son can grow up like i did and even though its not my favorite movie, its still a watchable one and better than the first two of the PT.

The excitment and anticipation in me is now waiting for Rogue One :D

plantman

Sith Lord
second time round made it far better for me, i like it, it still doesnt sit as well as the originals and i dont like kylo and cgi snoke but its far far better than other 3 tosh :)

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
plantman said:
second time round made it far better for me, i like it, it still doesnt sit as well as the originals and i dont like kylo and cgi snoke but its far far better than other 3 tosh :)

this is pretty much where im at with it , although iv only watched it once . i liked some of it but kylo ren was a bit of a **** villain for me and im still not convinced a 70 year old han solo was it great idea but i will reserve judgement until iv watched it again . i just cant see it standing the test of time the way the originals have .

Latest posts

Top Bottom