ROM skatepark National heritage site

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
Glad to see one of my spiritual homes has been awarded National Heritage status. So good to see as its been in a right old state last few visits.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/caring/listing/showcase/heritage-highlights/skatepark

mumbo

Sith Lord
Saw this on CBBC news this morning with the kids. Took great satisfaction in telling them that I spent many a day there with Jr Chubb and our friends when we were younger 8) It was always a great day out skating from home to Romford getting in, cursing at the red biker who always appeared at the last minute just as you were about to enter the snake or four leaf clover and then plucking up the courage to enter the Performance :D The swimming pool could do with a good clean though :!:

Great happy memories from that place 8)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It's such a shame the original Brighton Level concrete skate park and vert ramp didn't survive :(

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
I was there with the boys in September, it wasn't as bad as it had been the mini ramp was all fixed. I was chatting with Big Johns son who now runs it and he told me no one goes there now apart from us old school boys. The kids have far too many free council parks now and would rather go there as a session at ROM cost £4.50.

Not sure if this will attract anymore punters apart from a few beardy National Heritage types. At least its safe from developers now.

The Pool there is still one of the scariest things to skate I have ever been on.
Not quite getting to the lip on the deep Performance bowl. (maybe one day...)

Sorry Ed never had much love for the Level park for some reason....don't know why. Went to the new one on my Birthday this year and almost ripped myself a new bumhole on a rail

26494_1380737164695_3758560_n.jpg

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Mumbo :lol: the infamous Red Biker :lol: That **** popped up everwhere :lol:

Went last year myself...

The place was empty each time :shock:

It was my first time there on a BMX and it was bloody scary. Everything just seemed bigger and steeper than I remember, funny really because most things you revisit as an adult seem smaller than they used to be.

We had a good time, apart from shitting it every time I caught some air. :lol:

Just wish I had the ability to pull of some tricks rather than just dropping in and riding out of everything :mrgreen:

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
The clover bowl still scares the **** out of me everytime I see it now, we used to drop into that as kids. Went with my mate who used to sponsored he managed this out of the Performance.

10435009_10204900199770988_9162352569336856657_n.jpg

and me doing some old school **** by the moguls...????
1209204_10202029187557477_1018882704_n.jpg

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Nice PC 8)

Does this guy do lessons :lol:

That top pic shows how tatty and overgrown the place has got, its like a skate park from the Walking Dead :mrgreen:

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
JuniorChubb said:
That top pic shows how tatty and overgrown the place has got, its like a skate park from the Walking Dead :mrgreen:

You should've seen the mini ramp last year (now thankfully resurfaced)
The midi wasn't much better :D :D

Still its a big part of my history and I'll always go there. Toilets are a lot better now though :D

1175246_10202029083194868_1841293243_n.jpg

1185980_10202029085554927_1445359125_n.jpg

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Blimey, that pic at the top looks ropey, last time I was there those half pipes were all covered and usable...

I have not got any pics of myself in action, but here is my bike in the place itself.

haro06_zps51f2ef5b.jpg

You will just have to imagine me flying out of the performance on it. :D

x-pack

Grand Master
This is great :) Was more of a BMX kid than a skater ...because i was **** at it :lol:

The story says skating declined in the early 80's, but is that right. I know BMXing was massive then. Wasn't it even on TV? But surely skating and BMX go hand in hand :|

Jez

Sith Lord
Heard about this on the radio this morning. Never been there myself, would of loved to have back in the day. The only park i got to was at Southsea in Pompie and at the Eastville underpass in Bristol.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
**** me!! Those photos bring back some memories. Used to skate Rom sometimes in the late 80's. Used to get the train up from Rayleigh with my mates, wicked place :D Haven't been there for 25 years! I'd kill myself if I went down there now.. prefer cruising on the longboard 8)

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
No you wouldn't you never forget there's plenty of lines for a longboard. Go for it you won't regret it. Have one of Big Johns Pot Noidles too

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Yup, the Rom was designed for carving up the banks, some great lines there (around the new wooden street stuff).

I remember going as a lad with an old skool skateboarder (from the 70's), he made the most of the place while everyone else was just dropping into the banks and olleying out the other side, this guy had some style...

He topped it all doing a handstand on his board down the ski slope... :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom