Opinions on grading/acrylic

yoda

Sith Lord
When I started collecting carded figures I began by buying a few graded. Yes they do display well in the case but now if there is a figure I am after it doesn't matter about grading. I now feel i was paying for someone else's opinion on the card.
Alot of the figures I now buy are from seller's on here and alot of them have come in star cases which I am more than happy with.
As alot have said it's personal choice and I know I will probably never sell my collection. I like now and then opening the case to hold the cards. If I ever want them in acrylic cases I will buy them of lain/GW.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Michael Sith said:
I think the grading and acrylic case situation are two separate entities.

If you want protection for mocs, then acrylic is a good way to do this and does assist with display.
Grading is fine for those who want a grade for their own reason, It is a free country.

For me baggies for example, display fantastically in cases, you don't need to have them graded, just buy the cases From Iain/GW. That way your not letting your collection pieces out of your hands at the mercy of the postal system.
JMO

Totally agree with this, I also get mine graded and cased because I get the UV protected too which you cannot get from the other suppliers cases.

Although im now having second thoughts at getting any more graded as I was looking on UKG site earlier and it seems they are now charging a further 20% tax on top of the existing prices which is a hell of a price increase. Never been charged tax on any before over the last couple of years so im quite miffed and annoyed at this huge cost increase.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Bunglebubs said:
Michael Sith said:
I think the grading and acrylic case situation are two separate entities.

If you want protection for mocs, then acrylic is a good way to do this and does assist with display.
Grading is fine for those who want a grade for their own reason, It is a free country.

For me baggies for example, display fantastically in cases, you don't need to have them graded, just buy the cases From Iain/GW. That way your not letting your collection pieces out of your hands at the mercy of the postal system.
JMO

Totally agree with this, I also get mine graded and cased because I get the UV protected too which you cannot get from the other suppliers cases.

Although im now having second thoughts at getting any more graded as I was looking on UKG site earlier and it seems they are now charging a further 20% tax on top of the existing prices which is a hell of a price increase. Never been charged tax on any before over the last couple of years so im quite miffed and annoyed at this huge cost increase.

This 20% increase in tax by UKG is probably VAT, sounds like they are doing well and have gone VAT registered. I'm just guessing, so might be wrong.

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Yep thay have become VAT registered but also means all his customers pay through the nose for it. 20% increase on everything is just ridiculous IMO and im guessing will put a lot of people off as it has done so to me. Im now only going to get my remaining mailers graded and the mocs I have that I was going to get graded I will now just get sliding cases for.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
My opinion on this - acrylic is great for display, but terrible for protection during shipping. Just look at all those examples above. Acrylic cases are the way to go as you can remove the figure/MOC if you ever want to sell or post it. Graded items are a ticking time bomb, every time you post it is a game of Russian Roulette.

itfciain

Grand Master
Bunglebubs said:

GW Acrylic cases are 95% UV resistant (so basically fine unless stored in direct sunlight) - what are UKG cases ?

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
itfciain said:
Bunglebubs said:

GW Acrylic cases are 95% UV resistant (so basically fine unless stored in direct sunlight) - what are UKG cases ?

Im not sure, I assume it's almost 100%. Looked on their website but I can't find any info about it. Iain do you guys do any custom cases as ive got a couple of items (not Star Wars :shock: ) that I would like to house in a nice display.

itfciain

Grand Master
Bunglebubs said:
itfciain said:
Bunglebubs said:

Im not sure, I assume it's almost 100%. Looked on their website but I can't find any info about it. Iain do you guys do any custom cases as ive got a couple of items (not Star Wars :shock: ) that I would like to house in a nice display.

100% UV resistant would be pretty much black :D

We don't do custom cases right now but it is something that we are looking at - we're also looking to expand to other lines but all take time and money

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Yeah im sure it is quite costly. Im getting quite frustrated more and more with UKG lack of response to emails and now taking longer and longer to grade items (last two items was over 8 weeks) and now this 20% increase on everything has me looking elsewhere. One of these things that so few places do this kind of service that UKG pretty much has Europe to itself.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Any helpful tips on how to remove figures from the ukg case safely? I have a ben and a darth i want freeing!!

yoda

Sith Lord
I have a worm drive skilsaw from the states works but you need to fit a blade with fine teeth on it. Make sure you secure the case well first so it doesn't move and could damage the figure.
I presumed with your questions about cases in the other thread you wanted to keep the figures in cases. Have you decided now to keep them out of cases?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Yes i read about the sharp corners in the ukg cases damaging the figures so decided to free them for the clamshell or acrylic cases!!!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Alltooeasy said:
Any helpful tips on how to remove figures from the ukg case safely? I have a ben and a darth i want freeing!!

Slide a Stanley nife along the gap at the bottom and it will cleanly take the bottom of the case away, which you can then reuse.

Their is no need for saws or hammers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom