Khetanna - Jabba's Sailbarge - Scratchbuilt Custom

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
One of the few threads that I have an alert set on and for good reason... just when you start to forget how amazing this model is another update appears to remind you!

plantainman

Jedi Master
"still crazy after all these years", Crazy how good this is! Awesome update, Great work, As always!
Neil

wbobafett

Jedi Knight
UPDATE:
TZhanks a lot guys....I love you :D :D ;)

All pictures from this update can be found here:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#05jan2017

Next up is the floor paneling to the back rear. Couldn't find a movie or ILM picture so I got one invented:
Khetanna_591.jpg

Khetanna_592.jpg

Also the ladder and other stuff for the details need to be made:
Khetanna_593.jpg

Khetanna_595.jpg

Khetanna_594.jpg

Khetanna_596.jpg

Khetanna_597.jpg

Here is a comparison with a set shot (The gargoyles cant be seen in this shot but are there......remember my version is a bit smaller.... ;) )
Khetanna_599.jpg

Looking good so far I think:
Khetanna_598.jpg

Khetanna_600.jpg

Khetanna_601.jpg

Hope you like it. Thanks for looking!

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I've been looking forward to an update on this one and was worried you'd given up.
Thanks for posting, what a cracking start to 2017

wbobafett

Jedi Knight
Thank you so much guys. Keep the comments coming!!! 8) 8)

UPDATE:

All pictures from this update can be found here:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/khetanna2#14jan2017

Here we go on with the deck. Still some stuff and details missing:
Khetanna_603.jpg

Khetanna_604.jpg

Khetanna_605.jpg

No on with the frustrating part: The deck-cannon.
I am working on the cannon from time to time since the beginning. Because it's a toy and toy 3 3/4 inch figures should be used it was clear to me to use the Hasbro cannon. Therfore it was always important to include it in the planning also for the size. Here is some old pics:
khetanna_094.jpg

khetanna_095.jpg

khetanna_096.jpg

So far so good, but the cannon always looked ridiculously oversized. I planed and built two sockets by now only to throw them into the bin.

So here we go again. Hasbro cannon modification: Most annoying to me was the back of the cannon and the very wide step to the side.
Khetanna_606.jpg

Khetanna_607.jpg

Khetanna_608.jpg

I also wanted the cannon still to fire the missiles, but the muzzles just looked wrong:
Khetanna_609.jpg

Khetanna_610.jpg

More modifictaions:
Khetanna_611.jpg

Khetanna_612.jpg

Khetanna_613.jpg

Khetanna_614.jpg

Buliding the base:
Khetanna_615.jpg

Khetanna_616.jpg

Khetanna_617.jpg

Proper end to the muzzles:
Khetanna_618.jpg

And now the worst case scenario. Some super glue found its way into the spring mechanism. The missiles don't launch anymore. I tried to release it with a scalpel, but the knob broke into pieces. Then I tried to drill 1 mm holes into the mechanism to add wires to connect it to the knob again...more things broke.......that is kind of very frustrating because I can't just dismantle the whole cannon without destroying most of the modifications.......I will need to think about this....for now it looks like this:
Khetanna_619.jpg

Khetanna_620.jpg

Khetanna_621.jpg

Khetanna_622.jpg

Khetanna_623.jpg

Khetanna_624.jpg

Khetanna_625.jpg

Comparison to Hasbro and the movie:
Khetanna_625a.jpg

Khetanna_625b.jpg

Hope you like it. Thanks for looking!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I love it mate.

If I was insanely rich I would request youbuild one for me for what im guessing would have to be a lot of money. This is brilliant.

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
Thanks again for the update, brilliant attention to detail.

I can relate to the issue of "something has not gone to plan...what should I do now..?" as I have faced that problem many times...you chose to take a breath and pause...it is always the best way...given time, you will decide what is right and continue with your masterpiece. Looking forward to seeing more in the future...

plantainman

Jedi Master
wbobafett said:
And now the worst case scenario. Some super glue found its way into the spring mechanism. The missiles don't launch anymore. I tried to release it with a scalpel, but the knob broke into pieces. Then I tried to drill 1 mm holes into the mechanism to add wires to connect it to the knob again...more things broke.......that is kind of very frustrating because I can't just dismantle the whole cannon without destroying most of the modifications.......I will need to think about this....for now it looks like this:
Khetanna_619.jpg

The way I see it, This is a model NOT a toy, Therefore the look and aesthetics are far more important than any ability to be able to have 'play value' with the end result. I think the new modification to the cannon look absolutely fantastic and are very close to the movie screenshots, This for me is the #1 factor. The fact super glue has prevented the cannon from actually firing is not an issue IMO.
Appearance Appearance Appearance !
Well done & KUTGW

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thank you for another brilliant update. Sorry to hear the cannon won't fire. That must be frustrating, but it still looks awesome. Since it's your project only you can decide whether you want to go back and fix it so that it does still fire, however whatever you decide on that, rest assured that the rest of us remain in total awe at the skill, scale, excellence and dedication you have shown in this project. The Khetanna looks fecking superb, whether the deck gun actually fires or not! :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
plantainman said:
wbobafett said:
Khetanna_619.jpg

The way I see it, This is a model NOT a toy, Therefore the look and aesthetics are far more important than any ability to be able to have 'play value' with the end result. I think the new modification to the cannon look absolutely fantastic and are very close to the movie screenshots, This for me is the #1 factor. The fact super glue has prevented the cannon from actually firing is not an issue IMO.
Appearance Appearance Appearance !
Well done & KUTGW

I do agree with this as it really does look fantastic with all of your modifications and seems a shame to have to start over on it. I can feel your pain though of it not being how you want it ( I used to make props for Aardman Animations before becoming an animator and know it's all in the details!). Have you tried a superglue debonder to try and get it working? It sounds like you have tried everything so this may well not work and whatever you decide to do will be the right decision for you. It really is a work of art though so don't beat yourself up too much over it.
Ian

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
That cannon is a thing of beauty in itself... totally understand your frustrations, but if it were me I'd keep it non-functioning and stunning looking rather than start again. Its too good to pull apart surely?
Either way, keep the goodness coming, this thing needs its own art gallery show (Matt Fox?) when completed... or maybe exhibiting at a toyfair/comicon/celebration/Farthest From?!?!?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom