Premier League 2020/2021 Thread

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Classic opening fixture for Liverpool and Leeds, the 2 Manchester clubs get a week extra off. Quit a hard start for Man Utd.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Pool follow Leeds with Chelsea away and then Arsenal at home.
That's three or four years in a row now Pool have had reasonably tricky starts.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Has anyone else noticed that every fixture until December seems to be a 3pm Saturday kick off? A few teams I scanned through were anyway (including Spurs.) Does that mean they just haven't done the cup draws yet and it's likely to change, or is there really going to be no 'legal' football on TV until Christmas!?

lejackal

Grand Master
The televised matches are being announced shortly for the opening rounds.

I think they have planned in December already as they are hoping/expecting stadiums to be open in some capacity at that point.

I would anticipate that whilst matches are behind closed doors the 220 games to be legally televised (as it stands) may well be front loaded with more in the opening rounds and less at the business end subject to possible renegotiated terms as the pandemic develops.

There's a piece here that talks about the tv fixtures, doesn't really cover much more than I've said though really....

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-announce-deal-show-18799953

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
The Glaziers have taken out a £150 million loan to offset the loss in gate receipts for 12 months! Their really is no end to them bleeding the club dry.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Why would they miss out on their money!? Lol

Without being facetious, they bought Utd using borrowed money that was secured on Utd's assets. They literally put none of their own money at risk. They bought Utd cos they saw them as a chance to get some money for zero risk. If it doesn't work out Utd go bust and the Glazier's lose nothing. Literally not a penny.

They don't give a **** about Utd. They never have. They never will. Their ONLY concern is the money keeps coming.

No one should be surprised that they look after themselves at the club's expense.

All this 'Glazier's out' gubbins that periodically trends in Twitter will do nothing. They will only leave under two circumstances. 1) The money dries up. Which means they cant get paid for their "consultancy". That also means Utd are bust. Or 2) someone buys them out at a price that will allow them to bank a good few years consultancy fees and a nice profit after paying off the loans they took out.

Who would buy Utd for that sort of figure? When you will then have to invest mega bucks to bring them up to the level City and Pool are at currently, and to help make them competitive on a European level. It would be cheaper to buy another club, one not owned by leeches (ie anyone but Utd and Arsenal) and build them up/keep them at the level they are currently at.

When you list a business on the stock market you risk being taken over. Utd banked the financial gains and invested them very well, added to some very astute marketing and sponsorship etc. The problem being the leeches/Glazier's saw Utd Sitting debt free and profitable and realised they could buy them and make a lovely yearly income for zero risk. That is always the down side risk.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've decided Man Utd won't win a CL or PL while they are the owners. The club is valued at £3 billion, their are plenty of potential buyers but the Glaziers will not sell at that value.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
I've decided Man Utd won't win a CL or PL while they are the owners. The club is valued at £3 billion, their are plenty of potential buyers but the Glaziers will not sell at that value.

Would you?
Given Utd are currently paying them £150m a year for free/zero risk. WHY would you sell the golden goose? A huge chunk of that 3 billion will go to paying off the debts.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
theforceuk said:

Would you?
Given Utd are currently paying them £150m a year for free/zero risk. WHY would you sell the golden goose? A huge chunk of that 3 billion will go to paying off the debts.

Yes I would as money doesn't motivate me like it does the Glaziers and I'm a Man Utd fan and want whats best for the club.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, let me rephrase that, "would you, assuming you were a money grabbing leech who had no emotional attachment to Utd at all!?"

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
weasel said:
Sorry, let me rephrase that, "would you, assuming you were a money grabbing leech who had no emotional attachment to Utd at all!?"

Oh yeah for sure.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Messi has handed in a transfer request, time for Jose to swoop in :lol: on a serious note who could afford him?

lejackal

Grand Master
Elneny has made his arsenal comeback and scored and Messi hands in a transfer request. WTF is going on :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Messi has handed in a transfer request, time for Jose to swoop in :lol: on a serious note who could afford him?

He can leave on a free transfer as he has less than one year left on his contract and that is written in to the claws. Still you have to pay his wages which will be around £600,000 a week. If he ends up going to China I will cry.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
If I was Messi, I would go back to Argentina and enjoy playing my last few years of competitive football at home. He has one more shot at the World Cup if he's lucky, and that seems the way to have a chance. He has nothing more to achieve in club football - well, apart from winning a proper league like the PL, but most other countries are in denial about their leagues being a one or two horse race.

Alternatively, if you had that much skill, adoration and money, wouldn't it be fun to go and play at a smaller club and be a hero? A bit like Rooney, but with talent.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It's actually not clear if he can go on a free, the claws in his contract says he can leave for free at the end of every season. Apparently Barcelona are going to say the end of the season officially was in May!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
If I was Messi, I would go back to Argentina and enjoy playing my last few years of competitive football at home.

Apparently he doesnt think Argentina would be safe for him and his kids ATM.

theforceuk said:
It's actually not clear if he can go on a free, the claws in his contract says he can leave for free at the end of every season. Apparently Barcelona are going to say the end of the season officially was in May!

Yup. It's gonna end up in court. Though I dunno what Barca achieve if they win. He is hardly gonna turn around and agree to play!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom