Premier League 23/24 Thread

lejackal

Grand Master
Not that I can say 100% some Arsenal fans wouldn't have done the same but **** me, celebrating losing as you know it hurts a rival has to be a new low. Take it as a silver lining and all that but actively celebrating goals going in against your team šŸ™„

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
It's a bit bizarre- I would always want WHU to win, whatever. I might take a little solace in defeat though, if the result had certain implications.

Oh the irony of Gordon last night! Cheating weasel, who has manufactured loads of pens and free kicks this season, complaining about not getting one. Looked a pen to me, but serves him right. I can't see how on Earth his sock got ripped in that incident either...

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Whoever it was, Casemiro possibly, who foueld him, he dragged his foot down his achillies. Hence the sock rip. I agree, it possibly was a penalty. It's one of those that if the ref says "pen" VAR doesn't overturn it.
But I have ZERO sympathy with the diving wee toe rag. He has cheated his way to too many penalties.

I saw rumours of Liverpool being interested in him. That better be paper talk. The last thing I want is to see him in a Liverpool shirt

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Not that I can say 100% some Arsenal fans wouldn't have done the same but **** me, celebrating losing as you know it hurts a rival has to be a new low. Take it as a silver lining and all that but actively celebrating goals going in against your team šŸ™„
I remember Chelsea fans celebrating a draw like they'd won the league because it meant Spurs couldn't climb above Leicester back in 2016. I agree it's a bit pathetic, but can pretty much guarantee any arch rivals would do the same. I actually wanted us to win, had decided in my head I would prefer Arsenal to win and us to make CL above Villa. But I guess in any fans eyes, it was a win-win result.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Slot confirms he's taking over Liverpool, hell of a job on his hands, probably the biggest shoes to fill since Moyes at United. And he's got a similar massive job on his hands, Liverpool (and especially Salah) have been showing their age in recent games, it's rebuild time.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I remember, way back in the day, being seriously conflicted when Pool had Blackburn on the last day of the season and Utd had WH. Pool going one up and threatening to hand the title to Utd was very weird. Anfield was pretty subdued.

As for Slot. I agree, MASSIVE shoes to fill. TBH I'm expecting him to be gone inside 18months. Not a reflection on his abilities, but Dutch managers coming to the PL via the Eredivise don't have a great track record, more a case of the size of the job he is taking on. Not many clubs successfully replace an iconic manager. Utd still haven't replaced Fergy, Arsenal messed up replacing Wenger first time, you could even argue Pool took 25yrs to replace Kenny Dalglish (first time round).

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
That worked out well for you in the end as Utd drew at West Ham anyway @weasel I was at Old Trafford for the Spurs game in 1999 and the Spurs fans were celebrating with us at the end.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Remember that game well! The last few minutes were nuts- withstood an absolute bombardment. Also remember the game where we'd already been relegated, but beat MU and Leeds won the title a couple of weeks later. Fergie wasn't amused šŸ˜

lejackal

Grand Master
Should Arsenal (via a Man City **** up) so the unthinkable tomorrow it won't be shown live in the UK (legally). Seems a bit of a strange decision from Sky not to show the top two?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I assumed they showed all the games on the last weekend and you could red button and pick your match?

If not, surely City and Arsenal are the obvious choices. Then throw in Pool for Klopp leaving, possibly WH for Moyesy and maybe Luton and Forest cos mathematically they ain't safe/down. Ohh and Utd cos it seems to be a legal requirement that they be shown (witness their record of something daft like 95 FAC games shown live out of a possible 97. Ok, slight exaggeration, but not by much).

Bizarre if Arsenal ain't picked. Them and City should be the first two

lejackal

Grand Master
Chelsea, Pool and City. Unless they had to pick ages ago I really don't understand- and even if it was ages ago then pool, city and Arsenal where all genuinely still in it.

Ah well, stream it is then

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
I seem to remember all the games on the last day being screened... shame not this time. I always have to find stream anyway, so no difference there!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm pretty sure the Arsenal v Everton game is on BT Sport / TNT today?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 08.31.57.png

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Well done Arsenal, worthy champions but not to be. Liverpool and Villa well done as well.

Early prediction for next season, Man City will win the league.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
It's kind of inevitable, isn't it? I hope them and Chelsea get what's coming to them very soon. The authorities just don't want to deal with it though, as there'll be massive fallout.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It is ridiculous, Arsenal lose the league by 2 points while City have 115 charges against them in a season where Forest and Everton had points deducted for basically trying to put miracle grow through the books. Shambles.

Top Bottom