Premier League 2019/2020 Thread

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes my wife has made me aware of the Soudi's laws and it is shocking. I think women can drive now? Not sure perhaps I'm wrong, I really don't see their laws being a reason to stop them buying a club, although I think it should be. No way it is though.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
They have talked about it. I'm not sure if they have actually got round to legislating for it though. I have half a notion women can take their test but may not be allowed to, legally, drive. I'm not sure and TBH I CBA to Google it. Lol

The idea behind the FA's "fit and proper person's" test is to make sure the people who buy football clubs have the money (not like Michael Knighton), have obtained the money legally (no drug dealers etc), and aren't convicted criminals etc. I suspect the last category probably includes people who subjugate women and allow state sponsored murder (the Jamal Khashoggi case).

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Eddie Howe leaves Bournemouth. Not too surprising. Not quite sure whether either party goes now. He had a lot kore control at Bournemouth than he will get at most clubs. Granted he earned it, but still. There won't be any, if any, PL clubs who offer him anything like that level of control. I don't see him wanting to drop in to the Championship either. If he did why would he have left!?

Who do Bournemouth go for? Championship is a tough league. Do they go for someone to get them out of it, Steve Bruce-esque, knowing they will be kack in PL? Get some up and coming young manager and take pot luck? Or go the traditional route and employ a foreign boss?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I hope Eddie Howe gets a good offer, I like him. See Man Utd are set to sign Jadon Sancho for £110 million! A lot of money for someone unproven in the PL.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
weasel said:
Do they... Get some up and coming young manager and take pot luck?

Seemed to work well for Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal this season! If they just stand in front of a room of random people with their eyes closed, point, and pick the first person their finger lands on, they might win the next FA Cup :lol:

It's bad timing for Eddie Howe, firstly as there are no decent vacancies, and secondly because he's just had a **** season. He could have had some decent offers if he'd left last year. My prediction is Bournemouth will not get back in the PL short term, I can see them doing a Portsmouth or Sunderland and sinking right back down where they started. They had five years in the PL and made no progress, in fact they only got worse.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I agree, sadly, I don't see Bournemouth coming back any time soon. The next managerial appointment kinda has the 'make or break' feel to it.

As for Sancho, it is big money. Especially in this climate. I don't know a huge amount about him but I cant help but feel that 100m could be better spent on that Utd squad. A CB and a bit more cover in general, rather than a very expensive striker.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
That's Fulham promoted with Leeds and West Brom. Wander what odds you will get on all 3 staying up, next season is looking exciting as always.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah it's a shame, I wanted to see either Brentford or Forest promoted to mix it up, it's boring with Norwich/Fulham/Swansea/Watford/West Brom etc going up and down all the time.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Yeah it's a shame, I wanted to see either Brentford or Forest promoted to mix it up, it's boring with Norwich/Fulham/Swansea/Watford/West Brom etc going up and down all the time.

Agreed. Always nice to see a new club come up rather than the usual suspects who have tried and failed before and just bounced back up via parachute payments.

WTF was the Brentford keeper doing for that first one though?
What a way to ruin your club's entire season.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah that was a shocker, hard to comprehend how you can be so far away from covering the goal when the shot is that far out.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's a question for you. BBC Sport headline, Arsenal making 55 redundancies due to coronavirus:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53668802

I hazard a guess these redundancies will be people working in the shop, cutting the grass, looking after the team, those kind of roles. How about, instead of making those 'real' people redundant, you stop paying Ozil 350k per week for not playing!?

This isn't a dig at Arsenal, I'm sure other clubs are doing similar, so substitute Ozil for Sanchez @ United, Bale at Real etc (and yes I'm sure there are Spurs players getting paid while not playing, but to my knowledge nobody in the team earns anywhere near that much, even the starting 11)

But seriously, how can these greedy ****s sleep at night earning that much money for doing nothing while people at their club are being made redundant? It's sickening! Anybody with an ounce of decency would step down, or at the very least defer some of that ridiculous salary to help these people.

So to my question - what contracts do these guys have? Would any judge in the country seriously make Arsenal pay up if they just stopped paying him to save the redundancies? I can't even see how the financial penalty for breach of contract could be so severe it amounts to more than paying a player 350k a WEEK for doing nothing.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The vast amount of money earned by players, their agents and high paid staff at the top in football clubs is ridiculous, the people being made redundant will probably be in the main club fans and have great pride in the work they do at the club

There are lots of detractors I know but Alex F at Untd was famous for knowing the names of everybody at the club, catering staff the cleaners the support backbone of the club in short, I fully understand that as a business clubs like this need to cut costs, due to lack of attendance, and broadcasting money not coming in, but come on the ridiculous amounts paid to the players and the staff at the top is mind boggling.

Terrible that this is happening.

lejackal

Grand Master
One of the 55 is our head of international scouting so I assume he's on a bit more than minimum wage but I completely agree that it's disgraceful.

55 jobs at 30k is less than five weeks of Ozil money and I dare say also less than half the agent fees on a main player transfer. It's a joke. Saving 1.7-2.5 mil a year is great, if it comes from selling Guendouzi then happy days, if it's pretty regular jobs then I'm sorry but it's something that a club with a self sustaining model and backed by a billionaire should be ashamed of

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah poor form by Arsenal.

Did their players agree to a wage cut/deferral? I wasn't really paying attention to which clubs did and didn't.

I don't like the fella, or the club, but Ibramovic at Chelsea guaranteed everyones wages and put no one on furlough. Granted he is a billionaire but Kronke at Arsenal isn't exactly poor.

edd_jedi said:
So to my question - what contracts do these guys have? Would any judge in the country seriously make Arsenal pay up if they just stopped paying him to save the redundancies? I can't even see how the financial penalty for breach of contract could be so severe it amounts to more than paying a player 350k a WEEK for doing nothing.

My understanding of contract law, and I am not legally trained at all, is that, Yes, the judge would have to uphold the contract and Arsenal would be liable for Ozil's wages in full, plus legal costs and possibly a fine on top. A contract is a contract is a contract. Regardless of wage amount or how undeserving the person is. Whilst the judge would probably sympathise with Arsenal, and the media and Social media would destroy Ozil, the law states that contracts must be honoured. Ergo, Ozil gets paid and a load of other people get paid off.

lejackal said:
One of the 55 is our head of international scouting

If that is true then possibly SOME of the redundancies are due to club reorganisation/Arteta wanting to bring his own people in, rather than "who can we get rid of?" I doubt all of them are, but we'll never know.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It just boggles my mind that the government can force pubs and shops to close, yet can't force a football club to stop paying one player over a million pounds a month for doing nothing! I'm surprised the fans haven't started a petition to try and shame him out.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Thats City through and with a nice draw against Leon, although they knocked Juventus out. Could be City's year?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'm still annoyed that Spurs didn't get the nice cushy 4 month CL break all the other teams got, we were in a really **** place with injuries and results when we went out.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
I'm still annoyed that Spurs didn't get the nice cushy 4 month CL break all the other teams got, we were in a really **** place with injuries and results when we went out.

Good old Spurs luck, I have to admit if something can go wrong for that club it usually does. It's a pretty open tournament as well now with the one game knockout format.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I thought I was the only person that believed that :lol:

Juve have sacked Sarri after winning the league :eek: OK they got knocked out of the CL, but still. Apparently they want Poch, not convinced that's a wise move because for all his talents, he is not a winner. You can't say the same about Sarri, having succeeded at winning in his last two short stints.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom