Premier League 2020/2021 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
This is possibly true, though even they must realise he is using them (again).

I forgot to say I read that Aurier stormed off after he was subbed against Pool, and just went home. Jose will obviously take that well. Hence Sissoko at RWB.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Well that's got to be the lamest deadline day I can remember. It's fine though because Spurs don't need any players... Well, we wouldn't if Jose ever played the new left and right backs he bought last window!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah pretty bad window when Chelsea don't buy anyone! If Man Utd start getting injury's I can see us slipping out of the top 4, desperate for a centre back, CDM and a right winger. Probably a striker as well seen as Martial has decided to give up, again.

lejackal

Grand Master
Sounds like I'm the only one here that's remotely happy with the comings and, more importantly for us, the goings.

It's certainly going to be an interesting second half of the season, currently I'd say any of about 11 could achieve top four :!:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah very true, Utd did get rid of a phew, still got Phil Jones though, can't think why we can't convince another club to pay him £80k a week.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Good window for Arsenal, Ozil, Sokratis and Mustafi all off the wage bill.

Good to see Matip out for the season now too.

In all seriousness has any other PL club got 2 of their first 11 out for the season!? Never mind 2 in October, for the same position, followed in January by the 1 other player they have for that position. That's some bad luck right there.

Ohh and Minamino to Saints could work out well. He is a decent player he just never clicked at Pool.

lejackal

Grand Master
lejackal said:
David f-ing Luiz

Looking again the sending off seems incredibly harsh but was apparently correct to the letter of the law. If he'd tried to tackle him he'd still be on the pitch. Utterly bonkers

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes even as a Spurs fan I have a bit of sympathy for you going down to 9 men, happened to us against Bournemouth last year. You would think that referees should be able to use a bit of discretion when a team is already down to 10 men, it's a real '**** you' to give a second straight red under the circumstances.

The sad thing is that what was looking like a really exciting title race just a couple of weeks ago has started to look like another City gimme, the fight for fourth and possibly third might still be to play for but there's more action in the middle of the table now. And the bottom three is all but confirmed already too.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Still if you thought you were having a bad night, Southampton! Never mind being down to ten men, that disallowed goal offside for them was ridiculous.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
And another red! I don't recall ever seeing two consecutive 9 man matches :eek:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Bloody hell poor Southampton, everything whent wrong for them, early red card, own goal, penalty and another red card! Credit to Man Utd for not easing off, that result has wiped out the Spurs hammering goals wise.

lejackal

Grand Master
This highlights the ridiculousness of the Luiz red card- if this happens anywhere else on the pitch it's not even a fowl

Attachments

• EB712929-9A3C-4EFB-850D-565EBE6BBFA9.jpeg
    EB712929-9A3C-4EFB-850D-565EBE6BBFA9.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 58

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I watched chunks of both games, that Luiz red was ridiculous. It's a foul, unintentional, but their legs do clash and yer man goes down, bloody theatrically. It is still a foul, and thus a pen. How the **** that means Luiz has to go I don't know. He is last man, is that why!? But the foul is a complete accident!? I thought they had done away with the double jeopardy of the pen and a red card? Really really harsh red.
As for Leno, ehh that's a red all day. Idiot.

I felt really sorry for Saints. Injury hit side, down to ten men straight away (that was also definitely a red) and then literally everything went against them. Pretty much every Utd shot flew in, or deflected and went in. VAR shafts them with another stupidly tight call. Does ANY football fan want to see goals ruled out for someone's upper arm, wee toe or arse being two millimetres offside? Club loyalty aside, those kind of decisions, where the lines come out and we spend two minutes guessing are killing football.
Then we get to the Martial penalty. I'm sorry, that's a dive. Yellow card to Tony and move on. But the ref and VAR say penalty AND red card!? HE.DOESNT.****ING.TOUCH.HIM!!!! How is that a penalty AND a red card!? Martial is going down before there is any contact, granted that is not uncommon nowadays, but there is no contact. Bednerack even tries to pull out. And he gets a red card!?

Absolutely pathetic. I have never been so disillusioned with football. The standard of decision making is killing the game for me. Genuinely close to just binning football, and I never thought I would say that.

Between the handball nonsense at the start of the season, to the VAR lines and the ridiculous decisions like that pen, Luiz's red, the offside law not applying to Rodri, football has gone. It's like ballet now. I thought it was supposed to be a contact sport, but as soon as anyone is touch they go down and "there's contact. Foul."
Contact. Does. Not. Equal. A. Foul.

Ohh and in case anyone thinks this is an anti Utd inspired rant, I also thought they should have had a pen in the first half. The foul on Cavanni(?). Yes the contact was JUST outside the box, but his foot was half over the line. Contact with the line makes it a penalty. At least that's what we were told when Sheffield Utd got a pen against Pool in very similar circumstances. Yer boy from SU only had his heal touching the line and that was given. Cavanni (?) is half over the line, but apparently the contact was outside the box so, no penalty. You can't have it both ways. Either both are pens or both are free kicks, but one can't be a pen while the other isn't.

I give up.

lejackal

Grand Master
My main annoyances from last night are the fact we had played so well up to the penalty/sending off farce and the fact that we should have continued to play out as we normally do and not hoofed it long at the death of the first half.
As has been said before, by doing that you only get the ball straight back at you. Yes, Leno thought that was game over but one of the first things you get thought as a kid is to play to the whistle, don't anticipate it.
Not a lot can be done to stop a 30 yard screamer (close down quicker maybe?) but I think after that Leno just lost the plot. All I can hope for is that we use this as motivation for Saturday and not get into a poor run of form again

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Martial's penalty was an utter joke. How can that be given by both VAR and then Mike Dean? Apparently Martial told Bednarek that there was no contact. Really not looking forward to our match vs Villa tonight. They're a very good side, but it's the cheating I just can't bare. Last time we played them it was like watching that Romania team from the mid nineties- falling over when the wind changes, rolling around until they have got the decision they want (a freekick/pen/card for the opposition) and then jumping up happy as Larry. The refs have got to get a hold of it, as the more honest teams are getting punished.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Apparently Martial even said to the Southampton players it wasn't a pen, how can the ref look at it and not change his mind. Just makes me think they are stubborn middle aged men who can't except there wrong! Lingard playing well for West Ham, hope he does well at West Ham.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Who would have put money on Brighton beating Spurs and Liverpool in successive games, 1000-1?! It's a funny old game...

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, no one (apart from possibly Man City) seems to be able to hold a run together and literally ANYONE is capable of pulling a result out of the hat.

Thankfully, Villa didn't quite reproduce their usual antics. Grealish made the most of a couple of fouls, but that was about it. Thought we were excellent, against a really good side. We seem to be able to bounce back so much better these days. After such a poor performance vs Liverpool, it would be standard WHU, to go on and lose the next two or three games, but we seem to be able to get ourselves together again really well. I didn't want Lingard, but he played really well and looks like he could be an inspired signing. Can't believe he was so match fit- fairplay to him and fairplay for Moyes- doing such a good job!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes this is the best West Ham have looked for years, it seems the London hirearchy is having a big shake up!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom