Premier League 22/23 Thread

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
In fairness (not that I think he's great or anything) he was handed a real poisoned challis this time.
Aye, that is true, but he knew what he was getting in to. Hopefully he can go drink pints of white wine elsewhere now. I liked Roy Keane's comments on the chances of seeing him manage in the championship "with his ego……"

Overall it's been a fantastic season
Weirdly I prefered last year, bar the last two games.

Dortmund couldn't either.
I saw the second half of that game, they played like there was only 2 mins left from the kick off. Mainz could have had 5 if they had a clue how to play on the break and if they didn't have Jason Lee up front. Genuinely, Mainz main striker was called Jason Lee, and was as much use as our mate from the 90's.
If you have a home game against a side with nothing to play for to win your first title in 10yrs and manage to go 2 down at HT as well as missing a penalty. Then you're probably the German Spurs.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
A season to forget for Spurs fans. The most frustrating thing about it is we scored 70 goals, 12 more than United in third! We just conceded twice as many as anyone else in the top half. How many seasons have I been saying our defence is useless for now? Surely somebody at Spurs must look at the tables and realise this soon, otherwise nothing will change.

Not sure if anyone saw the Leeds match yesterday but Moura's Maradonna-esque goal was an amazing send off for his final game, he's had some great moments over the years, just a shame he cost us a few points this season. But I guess mistakes are more likely if you only play a few minutes here and there. Good luck to him wherever he goes next.

So no European football for the first time in about 15 years, could be a blessing in disguise for the rebuild, although will obviously make it harder to attract top players and managers. Obviously the big question is whether Kane is here next season or not, but either way he'll be 30 soon so need to look beyond him anyway.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 07.33.41.png

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Nah, they missed out. Villa got it. If WH win the Conference league all that happens is they qualify for the EL, as far as I know.

Not sure if UEFA still do the auld "fair play" spots, or what competition that gets you in to. It used to be EL, but that was pre the Europa Conference. That would be Spurs only chance.

Big summer for Spurs, and a lot of sides. Chelsea need shot of 47players, to TRY and balance the books if nothing else. Pool, need a new midfield, and possibly a CB if Gomes and Matip were as bad as I've heard on Sunday. Utd need a few more quality players across the squad, and a striker. Arsenal, likewise, need more quality/depth in the squad. City need……nothing. City will probably get three 50m players, who will sit on the bench.

Spurs' summer will all depend on what Harry Kane does. If he goes they have real problems. They then need a striker as well as the 4 defenders, and a keeper with Lloris away, a midfielder or two wouldnt go a miss either. Ohh and a decision on Kulesevski too. But maybe appointing a manager first would be an idea!? Someone who has a clue and who will be given time AND money. Optimistic?

I saw someone arguing that Harry Kane with 30 PL goals has done a **** tonne better than Haaland with 36. Given the latter plays for a side who stroll the league, score goals for fun and have KVD to feed you sitters. Whilst Harry Kane plays in a struggling Spurs side who are/have none of those things. Yer man has a point. Definitely a better achievement.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I don't think we have any Leicester fans here, but here's a hyopothetical question for you - as a supporter, would you rather follow a team that has won (fluked) the PL title and are now back in the championship, having spent only a few years in the top tier. Or would you prefer to support a team like Everton, Spurs etc that have been in the top tier for decades but never won anything? I guess City and Chelsea also fall into the first category, having both been in lower leagues in recent history, although both have had dominant periods unlike Leicester.

I ask because while it must be gutting to get relegated, I imagine the play offs are quite exciting.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I would if I were a Spurs fan, they would go straight back up. I would take relegation for Man Utd if it meant the Glaziers would fully sell.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
If the Glazier's keep leeching money out of Utd at their current rate relegation could be on the cards in a few (5+) years. Fingers crossed they stick about, or take the piss so much with their asking price that not even someone whose first name is "sheik" is tempted to buy them.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If the Glazier's keep leeching money out of Utd at their current rate relegation could be on the cards in a few (5+) years. Fingers crossed they stick about, or take the piss so much with their asking price that not even someone whose first name is "sheik" is tempted to buy them.
No way the Glaziers can hold onto the club for another 5 years, we are broke. It's either full sale to Qatar or part sale to Jim Radcliffe. I would prefer full sale but Jim Radcliffe is better than nothing. Apparently Utd have £30 million in the bank.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
No way the Glaziers can hold onto the club for another 5 years, we are broke. It's either full sale to Qatar or part sale to Jim Radcliffe. I would prefer full sale but Jim Radcliffe is better than nothing. Apparently Utd have £30 million in the bank.
Stop spoiling the fantasy. They are gonna keep hold of Utd and take you down to non league…..in my dreams!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Sounds like Sevilla Roma was an absolute classic last night.
Assuming you like **** housery, diving, play acting, time wasting, gamesmanship, bus parking and general borderline cheating.

If you're one of those weirdos, like me, who likes to see football. Passing, attacking, entertaining football, then ehhh it wasn't for you.

I wonder what the odds are on a big game featuring a side managed by Jose Mourinho going that way were. Must be a million to one, he's never done it before. Ohhh……wait. He has done it EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME one of his sides plays a big game.

Glad I decided to watch paint dry instead. Soooo glad Jose isn't around the PL any ,ore to suck the joy out of football

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I did think it was hilarious that he threw his medal into the crowd though. "I don't collect silver medals" 😂

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
He's done that before I think. I watched it, you have to except when you watch a game like that, it's more like WWE than football and go with it. Some good stats came out of that game, Jose's first European final defeat and Spanish sides have now gone 18 games unbeaten in European finals. The last Spanish side to lose in a final was Valencia in the 2001 UCL final when they lost to Bayern on pens.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Aye, 26 appearances by Spanish sides in CL&EL finals since 2001/02 and the only defeats are to other Spanish sides.

****ing impressive record that.

Granted a large chunk of them are EL and having the jammest club in world football (Real Madrid) and a club who had one of the best sides we will see in our life times (Barca around 2010 ish, whenever it was they beat Utd in 2 yrs outta 3) does help. But that's still an amazing record.

lejackal

Grand Master
Aye, 26 appearances by Spanish sides in CL&EL finals since 2001/02 and the only defeats are to other Spanish sides.

****ing impressive record that.

Granted a large chunk of them are EL and having the jammest club in world football (Real Madrid) and a club who had one of the best sides we will see in our life times (Barca around 2010 ish, whenever it was they beat Utd in 2 yrs outta 3) does help. But that's still an amazing record.
Sevilla are pretty much a cheat code for the EL- must be 5 or 6 now for them 😬

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Ah yes Spanish side hasn't lost to a none Spanish side since 2001. That's Sevilles 7th Europa League. How much of their success is down to all the on and off field shenanigans that go on throughout the game. Whatever you think, Seville's game management is pretty impressive at times. 😂

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
They had a few EL wins way back when it was a dying competition that no one gave a **** about, ie before it got a CL spot. They also had a few piss poor CL campaigns that resulted in them getting dumped into the EL. Being Spanish helps too, good league, but they only have 1 CL spot to aim for as the Madrid sides and Barca hog the other 3.

Ohh and they benefited from utterly shambolic Moreno defending when they beat Pool in Klopp's first year.
"Ohh look my man has the ball and he is within shooting distance, I should probably have been marking him in the first place, but I suppose I could try marking him now, or even getting closer to out pressure on him. That is kinda my job. No, I know, I'll stand here and put my hands behind my back. That's just as good as tackling and marking………oh, he scored. Oops."
Wanker

Top Bottom